The Acting Director-General, Public Affairs Unit of the Ghana Police Service, has made a shocking revelation about armed robbers who engaged in a shootout with personnel at Opeibea, near the Kotoka International Airport.
According to the Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Kwesi Ofori, the robbers have a violent background and have been on the regional Police Command’s radar for some time.
He added that the robbers are aware that the Police have been trailing them for long, so they know how to executive their job.
“These robbers, who engaged in a gun battle with the Police, have been on the Police wanted list for some time. They have been engaged in criminal acts leading to deaths of people and so we have been trailing them for long,” he said.
Police on Monday shot to death, three armed robbers in a shootout around Shiashie.
The deceased were identified as Akika Christian Roberts, Alhassan and Alhaji.
Abdul Latif, aged 47, and Prosper Koku, 27 years old, who were suspected to be accomplices of the gang, were arrested and put in Police custody to assist with investigations.
Bodies of the three deceased persons have been deposited at the Police Hospital Morgue for autopsy.
Meanwhile, a statement from the police said intelligence available to them indicated that the gang planned to attack and rob a businessman who was about to withdraw money from a bank around Airport.
The statement said Akika Christian Robert, who was armed with a Taurus foreign pistol shot and wounded a Police officer in the shootout but “succumbed to Police firing power.”
It said the Police Officer, who sustained gunshot wounds in the right leg, is in stable condition and receiving medical attention.
- EC member dragged to Supreme Court over alleged NPP affiliation
- Canada implements visa-free travel for more countries excluding Ghana
- #KenMustGo: Entire caucus would’ve to take a decision on Finance Minister – Majority Leader
- I feel victimized; what wrong have I done in this country? – Prof. Frimpong-Boateng
- Assin North by-election: NPP elects Charles Opoku as parliamentary candidate
- Parliament approves Gertrude Torkornoo’s nomination as Chief Justice
- Rwanda’s President sacks more than 200 soldiers including generals
- Livestream: Prof Frimpong-Boateng speaks about his arrest by Special Prosecutor
- Government sends proposal on debt restructuring to official creditors
- Assin North MP case: Supreme Court veered off the real issue before them – Ayariga
- Woman dies after eating poisoned chocolates sent by her ex-boyfriend’s Jealous lver
- Rwandan President Kagame sacks military top brass
- Tunisian black women: ‘My skin colour says I don’t belong’
- Nigerian states cut working week to three days
- I did my job; I tried to make Ghana a better place – Prof Frimpong-Boateng
- Burning Changfans alone will not halt illegal mining – Prof. Frimpong
- Our mission was successful until big-people-sponsored-companies started doing whatever they want – Prof. Frimpong on IMCIM
- Akufo-Addo is not petty; my relationship with him is still cordial – Prof. Frimpong-Boateng
- FDA engages market women on food safety
- Beware of the “I hate drama” guy who happens to have “crazy” exes
- Ibrahim Mahama donates 500 bags of cement to Presec 1998 year group
- My love-hate affair with “if he wanted to, he would”
- I didn’t get the protection I needed for my difficult job – Professor Frimpong-Boateng
- The perfect age to get married, according to Science
- If I were a thief, I would’ve been one of the richest Ghanaians – Prof Frimpong-Boateng