Scientists in Ecuador have discovered six new species of rain frog.
The new species were all found on the eastern slopes of the Ecuadorean Andes, in two national parks.
But the scientists who discovered them have warned that all six Pristimantis species were found within a 20km-radius of deforested areas.
They recommended that they all be added to the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s (IUCN) red list of threatened species.
There is a huge diversity of Pristimantis frogs with more than 550 different species living in areas ranging from eastern Honduras through the Andes to northern Argentina and Brazil.
Colombia and Ecuador have the biggest wealth of species of these little land-dwelling frogs and scientists think there are many more species yet to be discovered.
This latest discovery was made by Ecuadorean herpetologists Jhael Ortega, Jorge Brito and Santiago Ron.
Mr Ron explained in a tweet that they had decided to name one of the species resistencia (resistance) in honour of all the environmental activists killed in Latin America.
According to a report by advocacy group Global Witness, more environmentalists were killed in Latin America than any other region in the world last year.
“Alba Bermeo was assassinated on Friday for opposing mining in Azuay, Ecuador, another victim,” the tweet adds, referring to the killing of a 24-year-old campaigner last week.
Una de las ranitas que acabamos de describir— Santi Ron (@santiak) October 24, 2022
el cutín de la resistencia
se la dedicamos a los defensores ambientales
que han sido asesinados en Latinoamérica
Alba Bermeo fue asesinada el día viernes
por oponerse a #minería en Azuay, Ecuador
Una nueva víctima 😔 (1/n) pic.twitter.com/46ZkqFdNvw
- West Hills Mall death: Shop manager remanded
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- Growing list of companies ordered by GRA to pay back-taxes
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- Rev Victor Kusi Boateng sues Ablakwa for defamation
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Check out Akufo-Addo’s reaction as Black Sherif performs for him
- Diana Hamilton reveals why she won’t talk about National Cathedral
- Ex-policeman gets death penalty for lawyer’s murder
- Musk found not guilty of fraud over Tesla tweet
- Man shot by police was cleaning out – family
- Number of staff suing Twitter ‘goes up daily’ – lawyer
- Nursing and Midwifery institutes prioritising theory over practical skills – Oncologist
- I started smoking at the age of 11 – Musician OJ Blaq reveals
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- President Akufo-Addo accepts Chieftaincy Minister’s resignation
- Livestream: One-on-one with Seth Terkper on PM Express
- I did national service in Aliu Mahama’s office despite being NDC member – Sam George
- Flora Tissue grants renowned actor Fred Amugi’s 74th birthday wish
- I’m unable to confirm whether 1st gold for oil consignment was paid in cash – Deputy BoG Governor
- I’ll later explain my comment about people who watch movies for long hours – Yaw Dabo
- University of Ghana VC must go – Concerned students demand
- Groundworks underway for construction of modern film studios in Ghana, West Africa – Idris Elba
- GRA withdraws $672m back-tax demand from MTN Group