Audio By Carbonatix
Ecuador was hit with an hours-long nationwide blackout on Wednesday that left the South American nation’s 17 million people without power.
The blackout — which affected hospitals, homes, and a major subway system — was caused by maintenance and transmission issues in the country’s electrical system, authorities said.
“The outages we had today were due to a lack of investment in maintenance, new electrical transmission, and the protection of the electrical transmission infrastructure,” Public Infrastructure Minister Roberto Luque told a news conference on Wednesday.
As of Wednesday night, energy had been restored in 95% of the country, according to the government.
Ecuador has been struggling with an energy crisis for years. The latest saw Ecuadorean President Daniel Noboa declare an energy emergency in April and order eight-hour nationwide power cuts amid a drought that affected power generation.
In the capital city of Quito, a CNN team saw two hospitals, including a children’s medical center, lose power during the blackout. Both hospitals were able to rely on electricity from their generators shortly after the cut began.
In the nation’s largest city of Guayaquil, the blackout also briefly affected two other hospitals. “The power was cut but we have our own (generators),” a doctor from Guayaquil’s Luis Vernaza hospital said. CNN reached out to the country’s Health Ministry to ask if other hospitals were affected.
Guayaquil residents faced the outage amid 90 degrees Fahrenheit (32 Celsius) heat. “It’s unbearable, it’s so hot and humid, and we can’t use an air conditioner or a fan,” one resident told CNN.
“On top of this, the water is not running,” the resident added.
Service was interrupted on Quito’s subway system due to the blackout, with the capital’s Mayor Pabel Muñoz saying the outage was so “significant” it had affected the subway despite it using “an isolated (electrical) system.”
Infrastructure Minister Luque said the blackout could have been avoided had Ecuador carried out an investment plan to “safeguard the infrastructure in both generating (power) and the transmission” after a similar power outage took place in 2004.
Wednesday’s blackout is not related to the country’s energy crisis from last April, Luque said.
“The outages we had in April were due to lack of investment in new (power) generation and in maintenance of the (power) we have,” Luque said.
This story has been updated with additional developments.
Latest Stories
-
Ghanaian skincare brand KAEME wins DHL ESG Excellence Exporter of the Year award
15 minutes -
Communique: Democracy Not for Sale Forum – Ho Edition
35 minutes -
National Health Insurance Levy Uncapped: The Game Changer
36 minutes -
Akwatia MP accuses Minority of shifting GoldBod debate from facts to personal attacks
49 minutes -
Gov’t to spend GH¢2.8bn on secondary infrastructure as Education Minister pushes foundational learning
1 hour -
This is the result of GoldBod activities – Akim Oda MP demand answers over $1.7bn loss
1 hour -
Photos: Sammy Gyamfi at Government Accountability Series
2 hours -
Ghana School of Law SRC President-elect petitions authorities for relief for referred students
2 hours -
Promasidor Ghana unveils Onga Mix Tomato Paste, names Diana Hamilton brand ambassador
2 hours -
‘You admitted the loss, now account for the GH¢22bn’ – Minority hits back at GoldBod CEO
2 hours -
Gender Department raises alarm over rising teenage pregnancy in Ashanti Region
2 hours -
GJA@77: Ethical journalism foundation for strong, resilient democracies – UK Deputy High Commissioner
2 hours -
Police pickup carrying suspects crashes into trotro on KNUST campus, several injured
2 hours -
AMA Mayor apologises to alleged extortion victim, orders refund
2 hours -
Akwatia MP defends GoldBod, says IMF report didn’t blame it for losses
2 hours