Audio By Carbonatix
Caster Semenya finally lost her long legal battle Tuesday against track and field’s rules to limit female runners’ naturally high testosterone levels.
Switzerland’s supreme court said its judges dismissed Semenya’s appeal against a Court of Arbitration for Sport ruling last year that upheld the rules drafted by track’s governing body affecting female runners with differences of sex development.
The Swiss Federal Tribunal said CAS “had the right to uphold the conditions of participation issued for female athletes with the genetic variant ‘46 XY DSD’ in order to guarantee fair competition for certain running disciplines in female athletics.”
The ruling means Semenya cannot defend her Olympic 800-meter title at the Tokyo Games next year, or compete at any top meets in distances from 400 meters to the mile, unless she agrees to lower her testosterone level through medication or surgery. She has repeatedly said she won’t do that.
The federal court said it was limited to examining “whether the CAS decision violates fundamental and widely recognized principles of public order. That is not the case.”
The federal judgment came more than a year after the two-time Olympic 800-meter champion lost a previous ruling from the same court.
That July 2019 verdict overturned a temporary ruling which had allowed Semenya briefly to compete in the 800 meters at international events without taking testosterone-suppressing drugs.
Latest Stories
-
Rent Control orders hostel owners to suspend proposed 2026/2027 fee increments
15 minutes -
Southampton expelled from Championship play-offs for spying
16 minutes -
Dr. Apaak cuts sod for construction of 24-Hour Economy Market in Fumbisi
34 minutes -
Disadvantages will not stop Builsa South development – Dr Apaak
36 minutes -
Tecco Mensah writes: Misinformation is an existential threat
38 minutes -
GRIDCo, ECG announce maintenance across 4 regions on Wednesday, May 20
43 minutes -
Dr. Ike Tandoh develops 2 Afrocentric frameworks for personal branding in his new book ‘Brand Yourself’
51 minutes -
Police arrest suspect over violent attack at illegal mining site in Sefwi Asawinso
51 minutes -
Supreme Court dismisses application to halt trial of former NSA deputy director
55 minutes -
Blackouts put the lives of Nkawie SHTS students and staff at risk – Headmistress
1 hour -
People suffering from mental health issues are not cursed – Regional Health Director
1 hour -
We have no agenda to unseat Lawyer Kwabena Boateng – Ejisu NPP Chairman
1 hour -
Health authorities warn public against increasing hypertension-related deaths in the Ashanti Region
2 hours -
5th West Africa Pharma and Healthcare Expo 2026 slated for June 8
2 hours -
UK banking expert says banks are too profitable; proposes ‘bank tax’, others
2 hours