Audio By Carbonatix
Senegal's team jersey will display only one star instead of two at the World Cup this summer, but it has nothing to do with the country being stripped of the Africa Cup of Nations title.
The Senegalese Football Federation (FSF) issued a statement to clarify that production of the jerseys by kit manufacturer Puma began in August last year and "manufacturing deadlines and industrial constraints did not allow for the interruption of this ongoing process."
Senegal went on to win the Africa Cup in January for its second continental crown after winning the 2021 edition, to which its first star refers.
But the Teranga Lions were surprisingly stripped of the second title on Tuesday when the Confederation of African Football's appeals board ruled that Senegal forfeited the Jan. 18 final by leaving the field of play without the referee's authorization, awarding Morocco a default 3-0 win.
The FSF made no mention of that decision in its statement, where it continued to refer to "our victory" and said it be reflected on the team jersey -- after the World Cup.
"Aware of the Senegalese people's legitimate attachment to their symbols, the FSF wishes to reassure all supporters: the new jerseys incorporating the second star are currently in production. They are scheduled to be available starting next September," the federation said.
"The FSF apologizes for any misunderstanding this situation may have caused and thanks the supporters for their constant commitment, vigilance, and unwavering attachment to the national team."
The FSF previously said it will appeal CAF's unprecedented decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Switzerland, a process that typically takes a year to deliver a verdict, while the Senegalese government slammed the "grossly illegal and deeply unjust decision" and called for an international investigation "into suspected corruption" within African soccer's governing body.
CAF president Patrice Motsepe on Wednesday defended the body against perceptions of favoritism toward Morocco, which is a 2030 World Cup co-host and has invested heavily to become a soccer superpower.
Latest Stories
-
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
16 minutes -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
59 minutes -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
1 hour -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
3 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
4 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
4 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
4 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
5 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
6 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
6 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
6 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
6 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
6 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
7 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
7 hours