Audio By Carbonatix
The city of Shanghai which already follows China's one-child policy has announced a new rule for households.
From May a one-dog policy will be introduced, and more than 600,000 unlicensed dogs will be declared illegal.
The new regulation has been the subject of long and heated debate among the city's lawmakers.
Last year more than 140,000 people told police they had been bitten by an unlicensed dog.
There are four times as many dogs without the proper paperwork in Shanghai as there are animals with a permit.
The new rule means owners whose dogs are not registered with the authorities will have to give them away.
Those who already have two licensed dogs will be able to keep them, but only new applications from households without hounds will be accepted.
The police say they are expecting they will have to adopt many of the dogs once they are declared outlaws.
They are also banning the keeping of what they call "attack dogs".
British bulldogs are among those that will not be welcome here under the new rules.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
3 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
3 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
4 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
4 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
4 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
4 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
4 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
4 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
4 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
5 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
5 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
5 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
5 hours