Audio By Carbonatix
Heavy fighting has broken out in the Somali capital, Mogadishu, a day after the UN World Food Programme airlifted in its first famine emergency aid.
At least four people are reported to have been killed as government forces, backed by African Union troops, attacked Islamist insurgents.
The BBC's Mohamed Dhore in Mogadishu says the clashes are in northern areas and unlikely to affect the aid effort.
Thousands have arrived into government-controlled suburbs in search of food.
Correspondents say if the pro-government forces manage to gain more ground this could enable aid agencies to increase the areas where they can deliver food aid to victims of the severe drought.
The WFP delivery is the first airlift of food aid since the UN declared a famine in two southern areas of Somalia last week.
Al-Shabab, the al-Qaeda linked group which controls much of Somalia, has banned the WFP from its areas.
Our correspondent says the fighting started just after dawn when the government and African peacekeeping troops launched an offensive on an al-Shabab stronghold in the north of the city, about 7km (four miles) from the airport.
Heavy fighting has broken out in the Somali capital, Mogadishu, a day after the UN World Food Programme airlifted in its first famine emergency aid.
At least four people are reported to have been killed as government forces, backed by African Union troops, attacked Islamist insurgents.
The BBC's Mohamed Dhore in Mogadishu says the clashes are in northern areas and unlikely to affect the aid effort.
Thousands have arrived into government-controlled suburbs in search of food.
Correspondents say if the pro-government forces manage to gain more ground this could enable aid agencies to increase the areas where they can deliver food aid to victims of the severe drought.
The WFP delivery is the first airlift of food aid since the UN declared a famine in two southern areas of Somalia last week.
Al-Shabab, the al-Qaeda linked group which controls much of Somalia, has banned the WFP from its areas.
Our correspondent says the fighting started just after dawn when the government and African peacekeeping troops launched an offensive on an al-Shabab stronghold in the north of the city, about 7km (four miles) from the airport.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghanaians death toll in Burkina Faso terror attack now 8
14 minutes -
Ken Ashigbey demands probe into 14 containers of changfang machines
20 minutes -
The NDC doesn’t need a southerner or northerner
22 minutes -
NSA assures service personnel of allowance payments by week’s end
28 minutes -
Why COCOBOD’s pay cut is a band-aid on a gaping national wound
29 minutes -
We cannot stop cross-border trade but must protect our traders – Dumelo
31 minutes -
Port security lapses exposed in importation of illegal mining machines – Ashigbey
36 minutes -
One-week observance in honour of Yaw Sarpong slated for February 19
38 minutes -
Ntim Fordjour urges high-level Ghana-Burkina Faso talks after killing of 7 Ghanaians
48 minutes -
Nhyiaeso MP calls for research-backed approach to mandatory tree crop proposal policy
56 minutes -
The impact of expanding fishing limits on local trawlers at Tema fishing harbour
1 hour -
From “obroni wawu” to “asaase bewu”: Connecting Ghana’s used clothing dilemma to climate change
1 hour -
Galamsey: MMDCEs, public officials found culpable will be prosecuted—Lands Ministry
1 hour -
Lands Ministry begins stakeholder engagement on draft CREMA regulations
1 hour -
We’re a nation of talkers who react to issues and go back to sleep—Sissala East MP
1 hour
