Ugly scenes marred UFC 229 as lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov began a brawl by the octagon after beating Conor McGregor.
Seconds after landing a fourth-round submission, the Russian vaulted the cage and headed towards Irishman McGregor's team, prompting a melee.
Meanwhile, McGregor was involved in a bust-up in the octagon with members of his opponent's team.
Three of Nurmagomedov's party were arrested but later released.
UFC president Dana White said McGregor had refused to press charges.
Earlier White could be heard telling the 30-year-old winner he could not receive his belt in the octagon as he feared it may incite trouble among those present at Las Vegas' T-Mobile Arena.
He later said the Nevada State Commission, which sanctioned the bout, has withheld Nurmagomedov's fight payment pending an investigation.
"I know if we put the belt on him [Nurmagomedov] in the octagon there'll be things thrown," said White. "I just said let's just try and get him out of here.
"Police officers were getting punched, security guys were getting punched. I actually think police and security did an incredible job. Khabib jumped over the cage like one of those Parkour guys. What are you expected to do? "
McGregor appeared stunned and was quickly escorted away by his team, while heavyweight and light-heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier entered the octagon to seemingly try to calm Nurmagomedov, who left the arena flanked by police.
What was billed as the biggest bout in UFC history, one set to break the organisation's pay-per-view record and where McGregor returned after a 693-day absence, will now prompt difficult questions for White and the company.
Khabib Nurmagomedov was escorted from the arena by police
McGregor was escorted back to his changing room while Nurmagomedov was still being calmed in the octagon
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- AFCON 2019: Salah scores as Egypt move into last 16
- VIDEO: A look at Andre Ayew's record 9 Afcon goals for Ghana
- AFCON 2019: Zimbabwe held after two glaring Musona misses
- AFCON 2019: Omeruo header helps Nigeria qualify for last 16
- Riyad Mahrez, wife ordered to pay former nanny
- AFCON 2019: Amr Warda sent home by Egypt for disciplinary reasons
- Man Utd reach agreement with Palace for £50m Wan-Bissaka
- AFCON 2019: Nigeria players 'owed bonuses and allowances'
- AFCON2019: Pote shots leave Ghana hot in Benin draw
- Ghana 2-2 Benin: Five things we learned
- Ghana 2-2 Benin: Black Stars players rated
- AFCON 2019: Cameroon too strong for Guinea-Bissau
- AFCON 2019: Why this may be Ghana's best yet
- AFCON 2019: Black Stars XI v Benin - Kwadwo Asamoah benched
- AFCON 2019: Can Ghana win? Kinna Likimani doubts