New Barcelona signing Kevin-Prince Boateng is excited about joining ‘one of the biggest clubs in the world’ but admitted he was ‘a bit sad’ to leave Sassuolo.
The Ghanaian has joined Barca on a loan deal for the remainder of the season with an €8m option to make the move permanent in summer, having spent six months at the Serie A club.
“I'm a bit sad because I'm leaving a professionally-run club in Sassuolo and it was hard to say goodbye to everybody today, even if Barcelona are one of the biggest clubs in the world,” Boateng told Sky Sport Italia, in quotes carried by ESPN FC.
“It was a testing day, but saying goodbye to my teammates, [sporting director Giovanni] Carnevali and the coach meant so much to me.
“I've got a lot of respect for this side and that is why I had to say my goodbyes in person.”
Boateng only joined Sassuolo in the summer and has scored four goals in 13 Serie A outings, recently playing in a more advanced role.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Europa League draw: Arsenal face Rennes and Chelsea play Dynamo Kiev
- Chelsea 'categorically refute' FIFA findings, confirms intention to appeal ban
- Chelsea banned from signing new players for next two transfer windows
- Christian Atsu: ‘Sometimes what’s happened to me seems like a miracle’
- Arsenal, Chelsea march into Europa League last 16
- Ghana's Ambassador designate to Belgium donates to Accra Lawn Tennis Club
- CAF Confederation Cup: Race for knockout stage heats up
- Lassana Diarra's PSG contract terminated
- Gov't releases funds for completion of UG stadium
- After Champions League loss to Atletico Madrid, Juventus is on the brink
- Ronaldo: I've won five Champions Leagues, Atletico have zero
- 'Cojones' celebration came from the heart - Simeone
- Manchester City 'still not ready to fight for the latter stages' - Manager Guardiola
- Atletico overcome VAR setbacks to beat Juventus
- Late goals give Manchester City 3-2 win at Schalke