New Barcelona signing Kevin-Prince Boateng is excited about joining ‘one of the biggest clubs in the world’ but admitted he was ‘a bit sad’ to leave Sassuolo.
The Ghanaian has joined Barca on a loan deal for the remainder of the season with an €8m option to make the move permanent in summer, having spent six months at the Serie A club.
“I'm a bit sad because I'm leaving a professionally-run club in Sassuolo and it was hard to say goodbye to everybody today, even if Barcelona are one of the biggest clubs in the world,” Boateng told Sky Sport Italia, in quotes carried by ESPN FC.
“It was a testing day, but saying goodbye to my teammates, [sporting director Giovanni] Carnevali and the coach meant so much to me.
“I've got a lot of respect for this side and that is why I had to say my goodbyes in person.”
Boateng only joined Sassuolo in the summer and has scored four goals in 13 Serie A outings, recently playing in a more advanced role.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Solskjaer: I don't know if Man Utd players care
- NC Special Cup: WAFA beat Hearts as Dwarfs and B. Chelsea secure first wins
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- PSG clinch eighth Ligue 1 title after Lille draw
- Everton put 4 past woeful Man United
- Betway Easter Gala 2019: Top 4 winners awarded
- NC Special Cup: Matchday 6 preview
- Juventus win eighth successive Serie A title
- Monte Carlo Masters: Fognini stuns Nadal to reach final
- Jeffrey Schlupp's Afcon in doubt after ankle injury
- Tennis: McDan ITF World Tour launched
- Man City hold on against Tottenham to go top
- Monte Carlo Masters: Djokovic loses to Medvedev, Nadal into semi-finals
- #JoyFPL: Last double game week could save season
- Messi already deserves the next Ballon d'Or – Rivaldo