An Indonesian man suspected of being the “Con Queen of Hollywood”, a figure who allegedly impersonated executives to defraud aspiring stars, has been arrested in the UK, the FBI has said.
Hargobind Tahilramani, 41, is alleged to have swindled hundreds of thousands of dollars out of hopeful actors.
The identity of the “Con Queen” has been a mystery for several years.
“The defendant has been arrested in the United Kingdom,” an FBI spokesman in California told the AFP press agency.
He added that the arrest was “based on a request for his provisional arrest submitted by the United States with a view towards his extradition”.
The Hollywood Reporter said Mr Tahilramani was arrested by police in Manchester last week with the assistance of private investigators from a company called K2 Integrity.
He was identified in unsealed official court documents.
Mr Tahilramani allegedly impersonated Lucasfilm boss Kathleen Kennedy, former Sony movie chief Amy Pascal and ex-Paramount boss Sherry Lansing.
He also allegedly pretended to be Wendi Murdoch, the entrepreneur, film producer and ex-wife of Rupert Murdoch, along with several male movie executives.
AFP said the court documents, filed in California, showed film industry workers were “approached with offers of lucrative showbiz jobs and instructed to travel to Indonesia for tasks including location scouting, research and drafting screenplays”.
Mr Tahilramani would “use fake accents and alter his voice to sound like a woman”, according to the documents.
- Sam George: Lack of bed and ambulance led to death of a 12-year-old
- Ordering loophole allowed students to eat for free at KFC for six months
- Woman attacked by wild antelope succumbs to death
- Ernest Ako (Former IGP)
- Parliament will carry out its own investigation into alleged assault on Citi FM journalists – James Agalga
- Accounts of how some people are treated by National Security shocking – Samson Lardi
- Playback: Newsfile discusses alleged assault on Citi FM journalists, Otumfuo joins ‘galamsey’ fight
- Social media reacts to Affail Monney’s apology on Citi FM journalist’s breach of ethics comment
- I’m surprised DSP Azugu is still at post after Ayawaso West Wuogon violence – James Agalga
- Complaints by aggrieved KATH staff have been resolved – Head of Surgery Directorate
Greed, dishonesty and hypocrisy must be eschewed in ‘galamsey’ fight – Asantehene
Emotional Stephen Appiah tears up talking about son Rodney
Attacks on journalists: Seek help from international bodies if national agencies fail to address problem – Ken Ashigbey
Shun party politics at the workplace – Central Regional Minister
GPL: Four games to lookout for on matchday 25
Wesley Girls no fasting policy: Peace Council calls on Ghanaians to be circumspect in pronouncements
Israel strike in Gaza destroys building with AP, other media
Chinese busted for mining at River Pra by military task force
Rotary Club builds classroom block for Yahima SDA
Government must involve local communities in anti-galamsey campaign – Galamsey Researcher
We’ll fully cooperate with Energy Minister to facilitate lifting of new LPG outlets ban – LPG Marketers Association
Covid-19 has affected blood mobilisation – Dr Srofenyo
We have $200m for you to borrow – ECOWAS Bank to governments, businesses
Ban on drumming and noisemaking imposed in Korle-Klottey as preparations towards Homowo begin