Some mining communities in Tarkwa in the Western region are unhappy with the MP for Obuasi Edward Ennin.
His crime is that, he’s been defending mining giant, AngloGold Ashanti.
The MP had early on lashed out at mining NGO, WACAM for instigating the presentation of the Black Eye award to Anglogold.
The company received the most irresponsible company award on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum in Switzerland.
The MP says WACAM’s action damaged the reputation of both the company and the country.
At a press conference Wednesday the communities condemned the MP for his comments.
Spokesperson of the residents, Emelia Amoateng said they were angry with the MP for asking WACAM to withdraw the nomination which culminated in the Black Eye award conferred on Anglogold Ashanti.
But the MP has dismissed the claims he was backing the mining company.
He told Joy News he did not support Anglogold Ashanti but rather criticized the mode WACAM used in seeking to address the perceived wrongs by Anglogold.
He said the country has laws and statutory bodies which enforce those laws, adding that WACAM had every right to seek redress from the Courts, Commission of Human Rights and Administrative Justice or from the Environmental Protection Agency if it is the institution’s considered opinion that Anglogold Ashanti had contravened the laws of the land.
He said WACAM’s decision to by-pass all these institutions to seek redress from an outside agency is inappropriate.
That, he said, cannot be interpreted as support for Anglogold.
Source: Joy News/Ghana
- Travellers complain of rampant robbery at Bunso Junction off Accra-Kumasi highway
- 7 times Ghana has beaten Nigeria to the prize
- 9 Nigerians arrested for illegally entering Ghana after crossing Volta River
- Akuapem Poloo’s child is with me, he doesn’t know what is going on – Actress’ lawyer
- NDC must focus on healing the horse, not selecting a rider – Kunbour
- Tottenham sack Mourinho after 17 months
- Attorney General supports my motion for appeal – Lawyer for Akuapem Poloo reveals
- 36th ICAG Graduation Ceremony; female UCC alumni crowned overall best candidate
- Whether dumsor is back or not, current power outages must be resolved immediately – Prof Adei
- Black Stars coaches Arrears: Appiah and Akonnor paid combined $213,000
‘NDC not at crossroads but we are at a point where the roads are likely to cross’ – Kunbuor
John Mahama must call sycophantic campaigners to order – Kunbuor
NDC party was formed to give voice to the voiceless-Antwi Boasiako
We want to model Ghanaian youth to become good citizens – ISGF Africa Chairman
Court reveals 13 factors behind Akuapem Poloo’s sentencing
Message from the Morning Man: Sandbags
Forum held at Tema meant to reaffirm cadres group as major organ in NDC – Ben Ephson
Kwasi Korang: NPP leadership should be bold and stop the Bawumia camp from campaigning
Bawumia is a gem – Ama Busia
‘Bawumia is more than qualified to lead the NPP in 2024’ – Ama Busia
Group makes schooling attractive for blind and deaf student in Cape Coast through sports
School Feeding caterers discount claims NPP Regional Chairman received funds meant for their payment
NDC executives were aware of Tema forum held by party bigwigs – Antwi-Boasiako
Legon Cities and Gulf Energy commission a 50-Bed facility for the Ghana Armed Forces training base at Bundase
LGBTQ: We cannot turn this country into a satanic one – Chieftaincy Minister rallies support from Chief Imam