A 26-year-old trader has been remanded into Police custody by the Nkawie Circuit Court for allegedly stealing GH₵40,000.00 worth of gold at Kobeng, near Nkawie, in the Atwima-Nwabiagya South Municipality.
The accused, Lily Asamoah pleaded not guilty to the charge and would reappear before the Court presided by Mr Michael Johnson Abbey, on September 13, this year.
Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Mr. Sylvanus Dalmeida told the Court that the complainant is a gold refiner at Esaase, while the accused is a resident of Kobeng.
He said on August 23, this year, at about 10:00pm, the complainant, who was travelling from Esaase to Kumasi on his motorbike, had an accident on a section of the road near Kobeng.
This attracted a number of residents from the community including the accused person.
The prosecution said the complainant, after leaving the accident scene, announced to this rescuers that he could not find his items contained in a polythene bag, which was tied on the carriage behind the motorbike.
He said an eyewitness, who took the polythene bag containing the gold, was in the process of giving it to another person when the accused immediately snatched it from the witness and took to her heels.
DSP Dalmeida said the witness informed the complainant about what had happened, but when the complainant approached the accused person, she told him the polythene bag was empty.
The complainant therefore reported the matter to the Nkawie Police and the accused person was arrested. In her caution statement, she denied the allegation. Lily Asamoah was however charged after Police investigations and put before the Court.
- ‘I only met Godfred Dame to discuss Law School issues’ – Justice Dotse fights off Opuni bias claims
- Reckless driver in viral video fails to appear in court after falling sick
- I doubt impartiality of Justice Dotse; he should recuse himself – Opuni
- Court grants ‘Jesus Ahuofe’ ¢100k bail over Shatta Wale hoax shooting
- Sudan general declares state of emergency amid coup
- Auditor-General uncovers ¢44m worth of abandoned projects, completed projects not put to use across
- Renowned advertising personality, Torgbor Mensah passes on
- Thousands throng El-Wak stadium for Ghana Immigration Service screening
- Oyibi, Apollonia, Awoshie and other areas to experience power interruption
- We’ll settle the 2024 elections ‘anyway-anyhow’ – Afriyie Ankrah
Mali expels ECOWAS envoy amid pressure over polls
Manchester Arena bomber Salman Abedi’s parents living in Libya
Samsung heir Lee Jae-yong convicted and fined on drug charges
US calls for ‘unconditional return’ to civilian rule
‘Why I returned to Boko Haram and how I escaped’
Covid-19 vaccines: Paediatricians on frontlines of child jab plan
Covid-19: Don’t worry about touching door handles – GHS
Ghana to receive over 6.4 million doses of Covid-19 vaccines at the end of 2021 – GHS
Farmer, 38 jailed 15 years for incest
We did not thumbprint one million ballots – EC
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, October 26, 2021
Man sues Apple for refusing to fix his iPhone
Farmer sentenced to 20 years imprisonment for defiling two siblings at Abordom
Japan’s Princess Mako marries boyfriend Kei Komuro
Afghan baby girl sold for $500 by starving family