Chelsea were outclassed by Bayern Munich at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday, going down 3-0 in their Champions League last-16 first leg and lost defender Marcos Alonso to a red card for violent conduct.
Former Arsenal forward Serge Gnabry scored twice on his return to London for the Bundesliga champions as Bayern scored two well-worked goals in the space of three minutes shortly after half time.
Robert Lewandowski added the third and likely wrapped up the tie 15 minutes from time before ending up on the receiving end of a swinging elbow from Alonso minutes later.
Also, Napoli produced a defensive masterclass against Barcelona at Stadio San Paolo in the Champions League to secure a 1-1 draw in thier last-16 first-leg tie.
The hosts took a one-goal lead to the interval after a moment of inspiration from Dries Mertens, who whipped an effort into the top corner after a smart break from Gennaro Gattuso’s men.
However, Barcelona levelled the match early in the second half when Antoine Griezmann slotted home after a precise team move involving Sergio Busquets and Nelson Semedo.
Barca hopes of prising a winner against a resolute Napoli defence were dealt a blow when they lost Arturo Vidal to a sending off in the closing minutes after a coming together with Mario Rui.
Re-live the action:
- Veteran actor Ekow Blankson has passed on
- Photos: Actor ‘Waakye’, laid to rest
- ECG system challenges an internal attack, initiate investigations – Sam George to government
- I am not into galamsey – Chairman Wontumi
- “We’re building a thriving tourism economy in Ghana” – Akufo-Addo
- National Security arrests Imam for having links to jihadist group
- Adwoa Smart cries at Prince Yawson’s funeral
- ECG conducting a system audit after technical challenge – General Manager
- SSNIT, other companies shut down Bawku office over security concerns
- Cedi loses 40% value to dollar in nine months of 2022; places 147th position in world – Bloomberg
- Mahama’s administration completed 46 E-blocks, not 29 – NDC
- Indonesia: Fans ‘died in the arms’ of players in stadium crush
- Ghana re-elected to ITU Council
- Social media reacts to death of Ekow Blankson
- Patapaa has a talent of making hit songs; he is unique – Flowking Stone
- Block all revenue leakages – Finance Ministry to NLA
- Pete Edochie and wife celebrate 53rd marriage anniversary
- Brazil’s Lula and Bolsonaro face run-off after surprisingly tight result￼
- Vodafone Ghana to reward customers in 2022 Care Month Celebration
- Nigeria beat hosts Ghana to win MEA Rugby League Championship
- Vodafone partners with Onix to provide world-class data centre services to businesses
- Kwasi Kwarteng’s U-turn won’t be forgotten
- aYo insurance introduces annual cover on Recharge with Care
- T-bills oversubscribed by 1.15% after undersubscription a week before
- GFA set to launch Talent Identification program on Wednesday