The Vlisco Fashion Fund is now accepting applications for this year’s increasingly competitive contest.
The Fund is in search of creative participants with big ideas and ambitious new talents out of which seven of the most outstanding fashion designers will be chosen as winners.
Started in 2013, the Vlisco Fashion Fund is a yearly contest that supports promising creatives in building skills and strengthening their fashion labels in Africa.
This contest is setup for up-and-coming fashion talent between 20 and 30 years of age with fresh ideas and a desire to make their mark. The Vlisco Fashion Fund is also particularly interested in designers with a passion for wax print.
Since the contest is founded to support emerging talent, it is geared towards those who have been working in the field less than five years, and who are either solo freelancers or have maximum two employees.
All creatives who apply must excel at more than just design. They must also be adept with a needle. Participants need to be able to sew their own garments without depending on hired tailors to execute an idea. Business drive is also crucial.
The Vlisco Fashion Fund prioritises those applicants that are able to articulate how the fund would concretely benefit their business and help transform their dreams into a flourishing and influential fashion label.
The Vlisco Fashion Fund entry contest has three stages. After the initial portfolio submission, a group of selected applicants are invited for an interview and sewing test, after which 21 candidates are picked as finalists, three per country category: Nigeria, Benin, Togo, Ivory Coast, DRC, Ghana, and ‘Global’ which includes the rest of Africa and the diaspora.
Those finalists are then given an assignment to complete, which is judged by a panel of fashion industry professionals. Seven of the strongest fashion designers are then chosen to represent the 2019 Vlisco Fashion Fund winners.
All Vlisco Fashion Fund winners receive career funding and professional training workshops. Each will have €5000 to invest in new equipment, to help finance the set-up of a studio, or to otherwise facilitate business growth.
In addition, Vlisco also organises high-calibre professional training workshops for the entire group of winners, to assist with strengthening business, design, presentation, and tailoring skills.
Ready to make your pitch?
Potential applicants can read instructions and download the application form at www.vlisco.com/fashionfund, those entering the contest must be able to articulate their short and long-term business goals and have a strong portfolio of fashion designs.
Applications are accepted between August 1 and the October 1 deadline.
- Supreme Court dismisses land ownership claim by Teshie family
- Playback: Akufo-Addo addressed Ghanaians on Covid-19, IMF
- Independent Power Producers reject government bid to restructure $1.58bn debt
- ‘This too has passed’ – Akufo-Addo on Covid-19 pandemic
- Cattle and sheep easier to control than Nigerians – Buhari
- Attorney General asks Speaker to declare Assin North seat vacant
- IMF bailout won’t immediately end Ghana’s difficulties – Akufo-Addo
- Legon Cities drag Hearts of Oak into relegation dogfight
- T-bills auction: Government fails to meet target again; interest rates still surging
- Let’s unite to remove E-levy, Covid-19 levy – Ablakwa urges MPs
- Eastern Region: FDA steps up training for packaged water producers
- Renowned Economist Dr. Joe Abbey is dead
- UK Minister commits to supporting green finance across Africa
- Cues and Lyrics: TM Musiq adjudged judges’ favourite; Udiene goes home
- Prohibition of dividend payments by banks could last for 2 years – Senior Finance Lecturer
- ‘Let’s deepen TVET training to create employment’ – Ignatius Baffour Awuah
- Ghana branded ambulance found in Dubai in viral video not for sale – National Ambulance Service
- JUSAG suspends strike for 2 weeks
- ‘Kyenkyen bi adi me awu’; one of Ghana’s most sampled songs
- MTN proposes new shares in dividend payment to shareholders for 2022 profits
- NPP flagbearer race: Ignore the sponsored polls – Afriyie Akoto to his supporters
- Burna Boy performs with Black Sherif at Afro Nation Miami
- Ghanaians should not have any huge expectations of President Akufo-Addo – Haruna Iddrisu
- Brig. Gen. Dan Frimpong (Rtd): I am going to prison on Wednesday!
- Pursue aggressive fiscal reforms in the 2023 mid-year budget – Terkper to government