Audio By Carbonatix
The Executive Director of the Foundation for Security and Development in Africa (FOSDA) is alarmed by a recent report by the Ghana Statistical Service (GSS) indicating a staggering figure of youth unemployment rate in Ghana.
According to the GSS report, 25% of people aged 15 to 35 years are not in employment, education or training.
Theodora W. Anti is, therefore, calling for a viable policy to address the situation.
"Definitely we also need to look at the education and industry; the bridge between education and industry. There has been a challenge for so long about the mismatch between the education sector and the industry sector.
"We believe that a youth unemployment policy will be able to fix that problem or a youth unemployment strategy; contextualising our situation, knowing who we are, where the future of work is going between now and five or 10 years. What are we going to be consuming more of?," she said on JoyNews' AM Show on Monday.
Madam Antwi expressed that although government may be lauded for several interventions it has undertaken in the past to curb the situation, more needs to be done.
She says the circumstance requires more deliberate efforts.
According to her, although some institutions after their interventions, project a positive figure of employment rate in their reports, the reality reveals that there are still a lot of youths on the streets without employment.
"We have seen that NABCO trained 100,000 young people and per their own report, about 34,000 of them have jobs now. Why are the numbers so high on the streets," she said.
Moreover, Madam Antwi noted that research undertaken by her outfit revealed that some interventions to curb the unemployment rate are politically directed and as such only benefit party-affiliated people.
She says most of these people do not even participate in intervention programmes but end up benefiting anyway by virtue of their mere affiliation.
Meanwhile, many of those who participate actively in the programmes do not get posted, according to the executive director.
She has cautioned that if intentional measures are not taken to remedy the situation, the numbers would increase next year.
Latest Stories
-
Africa must become a destination for investment, not aid — Deputy Finance Minister
28 minutes -
Regulation by invoicing: Systemic flaws in NITA’s licensing push and threat to Ghana’s digital trust
31 minutes -
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaian in South Africa pour out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
55 minutes -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
1 hour -
Energy Commission champions Clean Energy Transition
1 hour -
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
2 hours -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
2 hours -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
2 hours -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
2 hours -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
2 hours -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
4 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
4 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
4 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
6 hours -
FHU alumnus launches medical textbook
6 hours