Africa took delivery of Jack Ma’s COVID-19 donations consignment on Sunday, March 22.
These are contributions are parts of efforts by Alibaba founder’s to help in the battle against the COVID-19 pandemic.
The total items dispatched involved; 5.4 million face masks, 1.08 million detection test kits, 40,000 sets of protective clothing, and 60,000 sets of protective face shields.
In the face of this kind gesture by the Asian business magnate, the CSS has however projected that these will not be enough for the country.
According to the Centre for Socioeconomic Studies (CSS), “Ghana’s own procurement of COVID-19 response kits must be ready by now especially protective clothing and PPEs since Jack Ma’s philanthropic gesture will likely not exceed two weeks supply”.
The CSS estimates that each African country will receive the following quantities of the items if distributions are equitably done.
1. Face mask – 5.4 million – 100,000 per country – Deploying this among 10,000 frontline health workers on the average, it will be depleted in 10 days.
2. Test kits – 1.08 million – 20,000 per country – In case of 2000 tests per week – this will last for 10 weeks.
3. Protective face shields – 60,000 – 1,111 per country – Should this be distributed among 100 health facilities across the country, an average of 11 health workers per facility will be protected per a day’s shift. Depleting it in a day.
The centre has questioned Ghana’s own specific efforts at COVID-19 preparedness in terms of numbers per Personal Protection Equipment (PPE)?
They have demanded that the Ghanaian public, in particular, frontline workers are made aware of “this simple and basic information”.
The Centre for Socioeconomic Studies (CSS) is an independent research and policy think tank committed to producing policy-oriented knowledge for both state and non-state institutions across the world.
- Sam George: Lack of bed and ambulance led to death of a 12-year-old
- Emotional Stephen Appiah tears up talking about son Rodney
- Chinese busted for mining at River Pra by military task force
- Abdul Malik Kweku Baako: The delayed disclosure of physical torture on Caleb Kudah
- Israel strike in Gaza destroys building with AP, other media
- Playback: Newsfile discusses alleged assault on Citi FM journalists, Otumfuo joins ‘galamsey’ fight
- US to deepen bilateral relationship with Ghana as United Airlines recommences flights to KIA
- Freedom of the press does not translate into safety of journalists – Prof. Gadzekpo tells media owners
- GPL: Four games to lookout for on matchday 25
- We have $200m for you to borrow – ECOWAS Bank to governments, businesses
Spotify founder Daniel Ek says Arsenal bid has been rejected
Italian Open: Rafael Nadal to play Novak Djokovic in Rome final
GPL: WAFA deepen Legon Cities’ relegation woes
Leicester win FA Cup for the first time after last-gap Chelsea equaliser ruled out
Investigating assault on Caleb Kudah: I don’t trust National Security – Ken Ashigbey
Juventus edge Inter Milan in thriller to keep Champions League hopes alive
Lewandowski equals Muller’s Bundesliga goals record in Bayern draw
Zlatan Ibrahimovic ruled out of Euro 2020 with knee injury
Disband National Security Ministry- Samson Lardy Anyenini
I stopped being a member of GJA because of its President – Manasseh Azure
Asantehene’s involvement in galamsey fight a big impetus – Abu Jinapor
Arrest of Citi FM Journalists: National Security boss should be held to account – Audrey Gadzekpo
We need to guard against religious chauvinism – Harruna Iddrisu
Investigative Journalism is becoming scarier – Manasseh Azure
NCCE Director calls on Ghanaians to respect each other