Charles Kwablan Akonnor has been appointed as the new head coach of Ghana as he replaces Kwesi Appiah.
Before we proceed, quick semantic note: he prefers his surname spelled Akonnor, not Akunnor.
“Where I come from, our family spell it that way,” he has told Joy Sports on several occasions.
Here are 10 things you need to know about the new Black Stars coach.
- Charles Kwablan Akonnor started his career in Ghana playing as a winger for youth sides Young Hearts Tema and Okwawu United before he signed his first professional contract with Obuasi Goldfields.
- In 1992, Akonnor moved to Germany and spent 12 years playing for Fortuna Köln, VfL Wolfsburg and SpVgg Unterhaching.
- At Wolfsburg, Akonnor became a very crucial player in the team and in the 2001/02 season, he was appointed as team captain.
- The new Black Stars coach had the opportunity of coaching three of the biggest teams in Ghana; Asante Kotoko, Hearts of Oak and AshGold.
- Akonnor won the coach of the year award at the 2019 Ghana Football Awards after winning the NC Special Cup with Kotoko – his first major silverware.
- As a player, he managed 41 caps for Ghana and was named as captain of the Black Stars following Abedi Pele’s retirement. Akonnor was never recalled again after applying for (and receiving) German citizenship.
- In October 2019, Akonnor was appointed as the assistant manager of the Black Stars succeeding Ibrahim Tanko. His appointment was terminated in January 2020 after the GFA dissolved the technical crews of the senior teams.
- As a coach, Akonnor never hid his admiration for former Black Stars captain Asamoah Gyan. During his time at Kotoko, the 45-year-old coach expressed his desire to sign Gyan.
- His son Charles Jesaja Herrmann is also a footballer who plays as a forward; he came through the youth system at VfL Wolfsburg.
- Off the pitch, Akonnor loves to eat apem and abom, a Ghanaian delicacy in the mornings and his favourite hobby is spending time playing with his kids.
- The licensed sex predator (Part 1): Divorce, rape of suicidal woman
- All you need to know about the $2bn Sinohydro deal
- Police arrest one gang member connected with bank robberies in Accra
- BOST has reduced trade liabilities from $624m to $39m – MD
- Preview: Total Recall: Where is the $2bn Sinohydro money?
- Government sued over Kumasi Technical University’s sale of 9 cars
- Takoradi woman to appear in court for allegedly faking pregnancy and kidnapping
- Total Recall: Where is the $2bn Sinohydro money?
- Takoradi woman in alleged fake pregnancy and kidnap saga gets bail
- Man dies after building collapses on him while asleep
If you want a healthy long-term relationship, don’t date men with these 8 personality types
Hospital project meant for healthcare rather impeding development in Kumawu – Chief
Scars of Ghanaian migrants after near-death experience in Gulf States
‘Okada’ must operate within peri-urban areas – Crash Analysist
Pledging stability, German SPD seeks three-way alliance to succeed Merkel
Special edition of Macfrut Expo 2021 ends
$2bn Sinohydro deal: Government justifies non-completion of some road projects
5 ways to tell if he’s not ‘the one’
Ayawaso Central Assembly confirms Mohammed Quaye as MCE for second term
IntelAfrique: The MMDCEs list, matters arising and the way forward for local government
5 loving ways you can survive a heartbreaking breakup
If we die, there’d be nobody to vote for you – Joy FM listener to politicians
Papa Kwasi Amoako: Open letter to Abuakwa South constituents
MPC maintains Policy Rate at 13.5%
7 signs your relationship is really, truly, 100% over