Three unidentified persons have been confirmed dead after an illegal mining (galamsey) pit collapsed on them at Breman, a mining community in the Upper Denkyira West District of the Central Region.
The deceased include a man, a woman and a girl believed to be 10 years old.
Forty others, believed to be between the ages of 24 and 35 years, have also been trapped in the pit.
Speaking to a local FM station, the Director of Upper Denkyira West National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), Isaac Gyasi said the incident happened in the wee hours of Wednesday, May 26.
He said the miners were trapped in a galamsey pit popularly known in the area as, Breman lockmu, at the outskirts of the community.
Mr Gyasi further revealed that his outfit is working earnestly to find those who have been trapped and save as many lives as possible.
Meanwhile, the bodies of the deceased have been deposited at the Dunkwa-On-Offin Government Hospital for preservation, identification, and autopsy.
- Former Minister for Monitoring and Evaluation, Dr Akoto Osei dies aged 64
- Akufo-Addo swears in 3 new members of Electoral Commission
- AFCON 2023Q: Chris Hughton opens Black Stars camp with 8 players
- ECG disconnects power to Ho Airport, GRA and KFC over debt
- GACL settles GH¢10m out of GH¢28m owed ECG; balance to be paid in 2-weeks
- ECG recovers GH¢18.5m out of GH¢46.9m from 3 state institutions
- Dismiss hangers-on appointees at Presidency – Asiedu Nketia tells Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo’s promises have turned out to be scam – Asiedu Nketia
- Pregnant woman fills potholes on Obuasi road
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- Gwyneth Paltrow expected to appear in court over ski crash case
- John Mahama files nomination to contest NDC flagbearer race
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- Davido is back with new album ‘Timeless’, set for March 31
- GALARY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Female farmers less likely to leave crop residues to decompose – KNUST research
- Drivers in Kumasi speed on weekends – Research reveals
- Implement existing laws to protect consumer – CUTS urges regulators
- Ghana’s “investment hub” agenda demands an open-minded tax administration
- Investors in government securities must be protected – Dr Adu Anane tells regulators
- Ayorkor Botchwey cuts sod for construction of Foreign Ministry annex
- NAB names Lora Dennis as 2023 Digital Leadership Award honoree
- Bad Bunny sued for $40m by ex-girlfriend
- Go to school, don’t wait to get everything on your prospectus – Education Minister to SHS freshers
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each