Seven people have died and dozens more are in hospital after eating poisonous turtle meat in Tanzania’s semi-autonomous region of Zanzibar.
Zanzibar’s President Hussein Mwinyi sent condolences to the families of the deceased, in a message shared on Twitter.
Some 24 others were admitted to the hospital in Pemba after the incident.
Turtle meat is a common delicacy among locals living along the coastal areas of the Indian Ocean.
It is believed that this particular one consumed was from a poisonous species.
Pemba police boss Juma Sadi has banned the consumption of turtle meat following the incident.
- Police intervene to bring deadly clash between Nima and Mamobi youth under control
- Couple pursuing same course graduate from UG
- Aisha Modi gave me ¢5k, not ¢500 – Psalm Adjetefio makes U-turn
- 1 out of 4 marriages registered at AMA in 2021 dissolved
- Nobody can intimidate any chief under my watch – Asantehene
- Nigerians troll Ghanaians after AFCON loss
- Man charged with manslaughter after 5-year-old dies following ski slope collision
- Captain Smart to face prosecution over ¢25,000 fraud case
- 65-year-old receptionist of Radio Ada shares how she faced off with hoodlums during attack
- My mother got me initiated at a Tigare shrine – Psalm Adjeteyfio
Statement on ‘Benchmark Value’ policy by Adu-Boahen deceptive, biased – Importers and Exporters Association
Olusegun Obasanjo commiserates with Mahama after late brother’s burial
AG’s office to start prosecuting officials who caused financial loss to the state – Alfred Yeboah
Nima/Maamobi clash: Residents living in fear of reprisal following Tuesday’s clash
Francis-Xavier Sosu: Akufo-Addo tenure – Era of erosion of democratic gains (Part 1)
Oil Palm Development Association calls for exemption from 50% ‘Benchmark Value’ policy
Jay-Z, Meek Mill team up to block rap lyrics from being used in court
Milovan Rajevac brushes aside resignation calls
AFCON 2021: 16 years later, Black Stars bow out in the group stage again
Police arrest 7 in violent Nima-Maamobi gang clashes
Police discover ammunitions following deadly clash between Nima and Maamobi youth
I would be dead right now if I’d listened to my doctor
Absa Bank is determined to lend helping hand to clients and customers – Managing Director
Financial institutions paid ¢2.1m compensation, refund in 1st half of 2021
Malta legislator Roberta Metsola becomes 3rd female EU Parliament president