Audio By Carbonatix
Facebook executives told Attorney General William Barr that the company doesn’t plan to weaken encryption across its messaging products despite his requests that it do so on the premise that it could reduce public safety.
The statements, which came in a letter dated Monday, were in response to Barr’s October letter that urged Facebook to postpone its plans for end-to-end encryption across its three messaging services, WhatsApp, Instagram and Messenger. Barr, U.K. Home Secretary Priti Patel, then-acting U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Kevin McAleenan, and Australian Minister for Home Affairs Peter Dutton also asked Facebook to create a way for law enforcement to access illegal content.
WhatsApp head Will Cathcart and Messenger head Stan Chudnovsky argue in the letter that the “backdoor” access Barr and other government officials are requesting would be a “gift to criminals, hackers and repressive regimes” and could leave users open to “real-life harm.”
“It is simply impossible to create such a backdoor for one purpose and not expect others to try and open it,” Facebook said in the letter. “People’s private messages would be less secure and the real winners would be anyone seeking to take advantage of that weakened security. That is not something we are prepared to do.”
Earlier this year, Facebook unveiled plans to merge the technology behind its three messaging platforms. The idea raised antitrust concerns since Facebook already faces a wave of regulatory scrutiny.
Tech companies and government officials have been locked in a debate over encryption. Officials argue encryption will make it harder for them to spot illegal activity, since the messages are secured, whereas tech companies and security experts say encryption is a necessary tool for protecting users’ private conversations.
Facebook’s response came a day before Jay Sullivan, Messenger’s product management director for privacy and integrity, appeared Tuesday in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee. The hearing, centered around encryption and lawful access, also includes participation from Erik Neuenschwander, Apple’s manager of user privacy, as well as New York District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. and other security experts.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
EPA shuts down mining site allegedly linked to former Mpohor DCE
8 minutes -
Health, educational institutions in deprived communities get free cement from Ghacem
21 minutes -
Court grants GH¢63.5m bail to ex-NAFCO CEO and wife in alleged corruption trial
34 minutes -
GSA shuts down 4 companies in Afienya over substandard mattresses
1 hour -
Theo Dzimega defends judge’s discretion in Abronye DC bail, criticises Afenyo-Markin’s remarks
1 hour -
Ghana Bar Association rejects ‘NPP’ tag by Ofosu Kwakye
1 hour -
Hindsight: What next for the women’s relay team after African Championships?
1 hour -
World Vision launches 5-year water and sanitation programme in Wa
2 hours -
Opinion: Mahama must reshuffle his cabinet now to save the NDC from internal cracks
2 hours -
We’ll not condone such acts – GBA condemns Afenyo-Markin’s judge attack
2 hours -
One shot dead, 7 others injured at galamsey site in Bibiani Anhwiaso Bekwai
2 hours -
Two men arrested over stunt at enclosure of famous monkey Punch
2 hours -
Belgian ex-diplomat Davignon dies before trial over Lumumba assassination
3 hours -
Dembele having treatment for calf strain, say PSG
3 hours -
Ghana placed in Pot 2 ahead of 2027 AFCON qualifying draw
3 hours