Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Statistical Service (GSS) is expected to announce the postponement of the Population and Housing Census originally scheduled for March this year, Myjoyonline has learnt.
This has been necessitated by technical and logistical challenges.
The Service is said to have agreed to carry out the exercise in May, according to sources.
The delay in the procurement of some mobile electronic devices to be used by enumerators following GSS’ decision to use digital mapping system, is key to the postponement.
The Finance Ministry would make an official announcement sometime next week, the source added.
In a related development, only ¢30 million has been disbursed to the GSS out of the ¢400 million that has been budgeted for the exercise.
Deputy Government Statistician, David Kombat said in an interview Tuesday that money has gone into the cartographic work done so far despite the chunk needed for training and enumeration.
The conduct of the census is in accordance with the Statistical Service Law, 1985 (PNDCL 135), which empowers the Government Statistician to conduct statistical surveys and any census in Ghana.
The country previously had censuses in 1960, 1970, 1984, 2000 and 2010. The country is supposed to undertake a census exercise after every 10 years.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
53 minutes -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
59 minutes -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
1 hour -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
1 hour -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
1 hour -
Supreme Court to rule today on challenge to legal vacation warrants
1 hour -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
1 hour -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
1 hour -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
2 hours -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
2 hours -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
2 hours -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
2 hours -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
2 hours -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulator
2 hours -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
2 hours