Audio By Carbonatix
The Australian state of New South Wales is to reopen its border with neighbouring Victoria for the first time since July after coronavirus cases there fell to zero.
Victoria, which imposed a tough lockdown after a surge in cases, has reported no new infections since the beginning of November.
The state is also relaxing its rules on wearing face masks.
Australia has recorded about 900 deaths and 28,000 infections in total.
Australia state New South Wales reopens border with Victoria after Covid cases plummet https://t.co/GoZFyjE9P6
— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) November 22, 2020
The country has relied on lockdowns, widespread testing and aggressive contact tracing to push daily infections nationwide close to zero.
Australia shut down its international borders early in the pandemic and requires all arriving travellers to spend two weeks in quarantine in designated hotels.
Victoria's state capital, Melbourne, was the hotbed of Australia's second wave of the virus and saw cases surge to more than 700 a day in July. It has recorded 90% of the country's Covid-related deaths
Taking drastic steps to stop transmission to other areas, it introduced a "ring of steel" with severe stay-at-home rules and a curfew.
Hailing the latest figures on Sunday, Victoria's Premier Daniel Andrews said they were "a testament to the character and the conviction and the amazing job that every single Victorian has done this year".

He announced changes to restrictions, scrapping the rule for masks to be worn outdoors as long as physical distancing can be maintained. Larger public gatherings will also be allowed, as will in-store shopping.
Victoria's Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said he was confident that community transmission was no longer occurring after 23 days of no new infections.
But he warned that there was still "an ongoing risk until there is a substantial rollout of vaccines across the world, and that is some months away".
In New South Wales, Premier Gladys Berejiklian welcomed the reopening of the border with Victoria, saying she hoped it would never happen again.
"It will be a whole new era for both of our states," she said.
Last week, South Australia launched a "circuit breaker" lockdown after the state detected 36 infections, including its first locally acquired cases since April.
However, state officials lifted the lockdown on Saturday - three days earlier than planned - after recording only three new cases on Friday. They said the lockdown order had been based on misinformation told by a man with Covid-19 about his link to a pizza shop.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
12 minutes -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
17 minutes -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
51 minutes -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
2 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
3 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
4 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
5 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
5 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
6 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
6 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
6 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
6 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
6 hours