Audio By Carbonatix
A journalist with Accra-based Citi FM, Caleb Kudah has recounted his traumatic experience while in the custody of the National Security Operatives on Tuesday.
Speaking to Bernard Avle, he indicated that after his arrest, he was assaulted by the security officials to compel him to provide some information they required.
Caleb revealed that he was slapped multiple times despite pleading to be released after he admitted to filming at the premises of the National Security in Accra.
"They took me to a police post where I met DSP Azugu. By this time, the gentleman had told everybody that I had come there and breached the protocols trying to cause problem.
"All the police officers there became agitated and aggressive towards me, so they took me to a smaller office and I showed them my ID and told them that I am from Citi FM. I agree I shouldn't have taken the photo, let's delete it and please let me go, but they wouldn’t.
“He said, ‘take his statement.’ He pushed me, I sat on the chair. They slapped me from the back. These are police officers, men in uniform. Some were bearded and had guns,” he recounted.
He further pointed out that, although he was put in handcuffs, the assault against him grew intense with him feeling dizzy at a point in time.
"They were still beating me, slapping me from the back. I will be talking to another one and someone will come and slap me from the back and you feel dizzy at once. At this point, they had handcuffed me and every now and again, one will come and press it harder so that I feel the pain.
"Along the line, a man identified as Agyeman came in and I tried to talk to him, and immediately, he asked me to kneel down and he kicked me in the groin. I tried to plead with him that Sir they have beaten me enough. I beg you please let me go because he told me to kneel down, he kicked me in the groin," he added.
Mr Kudah also accused the security officials of impersonation in order to draw information from his colleague, Zoe Abu-Baidoo after they confiscated his phone.
"They had taken my phone and they were looking through my chat and then they found out that I had sent photos to Zoe. That is when the gentleman started chatting Zoe as though I was the one."
Earlier on Tuesday, the National Security operatives stormed the premises of the Adabraka-based station to whisk away Zoe Abu-Baidoo after picking up Caleb Kudah.
The two journalists were accused of filming and disseminating a video taken at the premises of the National Security Ministry.
But after hours of interrogation, the two were released by the security operatives.
Latest Stories
-
Ghanaians death toll in Burkina Faso terror attack now 8
11 minutes -
Ken Ashigbey demands probe into 14 containers of changfang machines
18 minutes -
The NDC doesn’t need a southerner or northerner
19 minutes -
NSA assures service personnel of allowance payments by week’s end
26 minutes -
Why COCOBOD’s pay cut is a band-aid on a gaping national wound
26 minutes -
We cannot stop cross-border trade but must protect our traders – Dumelo
29 minutes -
Port security lapses exposed in importation of illegal mining machines – Ashigbey
33 minutes -
One-week observance in honour of Yaw Sarpong slated for February 19
36 minutes -
Ntim Fordjour urges high-level Ghana-Burkina Faso talks after killing of 7 Ghanaians
45 minutes -
Nhyiaeso MP calls for research-backed approach to mandatory tree crop proposal policy
54 minutes -
The impact of expanding fishing limits on local trawlers at Tema fishing harbour
1 hour -
From “obroni wawu” to “asaase bewu”: Connecting Ghana’s used clothing dilemma to climate change
1 hour -
Galamsey: MMDCEs, public officials found culpable will be prosecuted—Lands Ministry
1 hour -
Lands Ministry begins stakeholder engagement on draft CREMA regulations
1 hour -
We’re a nation of talkers who react to issues and go back to sleep—Sissala East MP
1 hour
