Audio By Carbonatix
Bogoso District Manager of the Electricity Company of Ghana, Ebo Sagoe says his outfit is working assiduously to restore power to areas that suffered a cut in power supply due to the explosion at Apeatse.
Over thirty thousand residents in close to three operational districts of ECG that rely on power from the Bulk Supply Point at Bogoso are currently without electricity due to Thursday’s explosion.
According to Mr Sagoe, after the explosion which occurred close to a transformer, major districts including residents in Enchi, Amenfi East and Amenfi Central were massively affected.
“The power supplied to those areas, emanate from here, so with this incident which affect the lines, it affected these areas,” he said to the media on January 21.
Mr Sagoe said that although power was restored in a few areas, many residents still do not have light but his team is working to ensure supply is restored within 24 hours.
“Managing Director of ECG has directed that we reinstate the network as it was before the incident. So we are on getting it done. My men have been on the field since yesterday,” he stated.
He added that “when the incident happened, we quickly rushed in to save the situation so that there wouldn't be an additional electrical accident.”
Mr Sagoe said the team returned to site on Friday, January 21, to prepare the place for the Vice President’s address and continue work.
“We are confident that we would be able to restore supply to affected residents,” he added.
The aftermath of the horrific explosion that happened at Apeatse, near Bogoso in the Western Region is still being felt.
Thursday’s incident occurred when a truck conveying mining explosives collided with a motorcycle and a third vehicle close to an electricity transformer.
As a result, the town was reduced to rubble in the blast, killing some inhabitants and injuring many.
So far, over 500 homes have been affected by the blast. Thirteen people were confirmed dead by the Information Ministry, with about 59 injured as of 5 pm on Thursday.
But updates coming from the region indicate that the casualties could increase.
Several households at Apeatse near Bogoso were destroyed after Thursday’s explosion which reduced the whole community to debris.
Survivors of the unfortunate incident have been rendered homeless after almost 95% of the houses in the community were ravaged in the blast.
The displaced residents have been relocated to a makeshift camp at the Bogoso St. Michael Parish Hall.
Meanwhile, Vice President, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, has assured that measures are being put in place to construct temporary housing facilities for all displaced residents of Bogoso-Apeatse.
He says the government has engaged the State Housing Corporation and mining companies to provide an instant haven for the stranded community members in the coming days.
Dr Bawumia said this when he led a government delegation to ascertain the state of affairs in the community after a vehicle carrying mining explosives exploded and reduced the whole settlement to ground zero.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
25 minutes -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
2 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
2 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
2 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
3 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
3 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
3 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
3 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
3 hours -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
3 hours -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
3 hours -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
5 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
5 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
6 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General SuperintendentÂ
6 hours