Audio By Carbonatix
Sudan's warring rivals have agreed to send representatives for negotiations, potentially in Saudi Arabia, the United Nations' special representative in the country, Volker Perthes, said.
Mr Perthes told the Associated Press (AP) news agency on Monday that the talks would initially focus on establishing a “stable and reliable” ceasefire monitored by national and international observers.
He said the two sides had already named their representatives for preliminary discussions but cautioned that logistics for talks were still being worked out.
Mr Perthes also said that in the past week he had noticed a "change in tone" from the two warring sides, noting their realisation of how dangerous the situation had become and that any victory would be won at "too great a cost".
No definite information is available on the when and where of the negotiations. The UN official said both sides would have to agree on the venue.
The mediation efforts continued as the two sides clashed in the capital, Khartoum, despite another three-day extension of a fragile ceasefire.
Explosions and sounds of gunfire were reported in parts of Khartoum and its neighbouring city, Omdurman, on Monday.
The two sides announced late Sunday they would abide by a 72-hour extension of their nominal ceasefire of the past week.
Latest Stories
-
Republic Bank-JoyNews Habitat Fair: Day 2 ends on high note as patrons enjoy exciting discounts
7 minutes -
Big Push: Upper West MPs inspect N12 works, optimistic improved roads will curb robberies
24 minutes -
India is turning to ancient water systems as modern ones run dry
42 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Anum Presby survive tense battle to deny St. Charles Minor Sem. one-eighth spot
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Heartbreak for OLA SHS as Aburi Presby SHTS deny them one-eighth spot
1 hour -
Laptop catches fire on US flight, with passenger treated at airport
1 hour -
Tano North chiefs tackle police over ‘routine release’ of arrested illegal miners
2 hours -
Accra-Kumasi Expressway almost complete – Roads Minister
2 hours -
ECG announces temporary power outages in parts of Tema and Ashanti Regions
2 hours -
Somalia child hunger crisis deepens after aid cuts, UNICEF says
2 hours -
Media urged to help shape Constituency Games implementation
2 hours -
Accra’s only public horse racing course destroyed at Borteyman
2 hours -
Dozens of people abducted in attacks on villages in Nigeria, police say
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Mfantsiman Girls’ bounce back from 2025 prelims exit to book one-eighth spot
3 hours -
Africa’s $9 trillion lithium bonanza: Can Africa turn its mineral wealth into a global economic powerhouse?
3 hours