Audio By Carbonatix
Nigeria's Aliko Dangote has been listed by Forbes magazine as Africa's richest man for the 13th year in a row despite the country's economic difficulties.
The 20 billionaires on its list are worth a combined $82.4bn (£64.8bn).
"The continent remains one of the world's toughest places to build - and hold on to - a billion-dollar fortune," the business magazine says.
Its list tracks the wealth of African billionaires who reside in Africa or have their primary business there.
Mr Dangote's fortune rose by $400m over the last year to a net worth of $13.9bn, Forbes said.
The 66-year-old businessman made his fortune in cement and sugar - and last year opened an oil refinery in Nigeria's economic hub of Lagos.
Since Bola Tinubu took over as president in May, following disputed elections, the value of the local currency the naira has plummeted and the removal of a fuel subsidy has sent prices sky-rocketing.
Forbes said Mr Dangote retained his top ranking despite the naira's devaluation "that offset the rising share price of Dangote Cement".
South African luxury goods magnate Johann Rupert held on to the number two spot with another South African, former diamond miner Nicky Oppenheimer, in the third spot.
South Africa has another four people on the rich list, followed by Egypt with five, Nigeria with four and Morocco with two. Algeria, Tanzania and Zimbabwe each have one billionaire.
Latest Stories
-
Renaming KIA to Accra International Airport key to reviving national airline – Transport Minister
8 minutes -
Interior Minister urges public not to share images of Burkina Faso attack victims
10 minutes -
Unknown persons desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
18 minutes -
I will tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
22 minutes -
Ghana to host high-level national consultative on use of explosive weapons in populated areas
27 minutes -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Leadership Communication and Alignment
45 minutes -
Ace Ankomah writes: Let’s coffee our cocoa: My Sunday morning musings
49 minutes -
Real income of cocoa farmers has improved – Agriculture Minister
53 minutes -
I’ll tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
55 minutes -
Titao attack should be wake-up call for Ghana’s security architecture – Samuel Jinapor
56 minutes -
New Juaben South MP Okyere Baafi condemns Burkina Faso attack, demands probe into government response
1 hour -
A/R: Unknown assailants desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
1 hour -
What is wrong with us: Africans know mining, but do not understand the business and consequences of mining
2 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund begins grassroots field assessment in Volta North, uncovers talent and infrastructure gaps
2 hours -
Persons with disabilities are not objects of pity — Volta Social Welfare Director urges mindset shift
2 hours
