Audio By Carbonatix
Manchester United have called off their match in Indonesia after bomb blasts hit the hotel they were due to stay in.
The squad arrived in Kuala Lumpur ahead of Saturday's clash against a Malaysia XI and were set to face an Indonesia All Star side on Monday.
At least nine people were killed and 48 injured in the attacks in Jakarta.
The Premier League champions are also lined up for two friendlies in South Korea and China on their tour of the Far East ahead of the new season.
A United statement said: "Following the explosions in Jakarta - one of which was at the hotel the team were due to stay in - and based on advice received, the directors have informed the Indonesian FA that the club cannot fulfill the fixture in Jakarta on the 2009 Asia tour."
Monday's match in Jakarta had been a 100,000 sell-out, with the club due to stay in the city's Ritz-Carlton for four nights.
"We are working on a revised itinerary outside Indonesia with the promoters and we will make a further announcement when these decisions have been made," the statement added.
"We are deeply disappointed at not being able to visit Indonesia and thank the Indonesian FA and our fans for their support. Our thoughts go to all those affected by the blasts."
New signing Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs were among a 22-man squad that flew out from Manchester to Kuala Lumpur on Thursday.
After arriving in the Malaysian capital, United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said: "It's a bit of a shock for all of us. We just got news of this when we landed.
"I have never been to Indonesia before and I know the Indonesian FA have worked very hard on this.
"There was no other solution as we had to safeguard our players. So it's the correct decision."
United chief executive David Gill indicated the team might extend their stay in Malaysia but would consult the country's football association before announcing a decision.
"We have to consider the safety of the players and the staff and everyone else in the team because they are of paramount importance," he told a news conference.
"We have taken the appropriate advice. We have met with the British High Commission who are highly experienced in these matters. It is not a decision we have taken lightly."
When asked if advice about potential trouble was given to the club ahead of the pre-season trip to the Far East, Gill added: "We were aware of the situation but we spoke to the right people and received the correct advice."
The first two blasts in Jakarta's central business district happened at about 0730 (0030 GMT) with Jakarta police saying a number of foreigners were among those who died. Police said an unexploded bomb had also been found at the JW Marriott hotel.
There were reports of a third explosion in northern Jakarta a few hours later but it was not clear what the cause was.
Indonesia has not witnessed such atrocities for nearly six years.
Attacks on two nightclubs in Bali in October 2002 killed 202 people, many of them Australian, while the Marriott Hotel in Jakarta, one of the two hotels targeted on Friday, suffered a bomb attack in August 2003 in which 13 people were killed.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
15% of maternal mortality deaths in Kumasi are ‘imported’- Health Director
9 minutes -
How Dapper forged my signature, sold my catalogue to foreign label – Shallipopi
4 hours -
Omotola’s heart of gold on display
4 hours -
Pope calls for an end to West Bank violence against Palestinians
4 hours -
Shipping slows through Strait of Hormuz after tanker attacks, data shows
5 hours -
Why I stopped trying to quit smoking – Omah Lay
5 hours -
‘What if sharks swallow you’ – Teni warns Burna Boy over ocean stunt
5 hours -
What’s driving men to get penis fillers, despite the risks?
5 hours -
Ngah brace fires Cameroon to historic first WAFCON crown with dominant Malawi victory
5 hours -
Ariana Grande leaves problems at home as her tour hits the UK
5 hours -
‘Ghana was the crime scene’ – the country leading the demand for slavery reparations
6 hours -
Court dismisses Nana Kwame Bediako’s fresh bid to halt $14.9m judgment
6 hours -
Air India pilot’s reported cannabis test: What it can and can’t tell investigators
6 hours -
France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s
6 hours -
Fery wins on return as Djokovic reveals health condition after loss
6 hours