Audio By Carbonatix
A surge in attacks on foreign nationals in South Africa is damaging the country's global image and fuelling a backlash against businesses and artists, the justice minister has warned.
Speaking at a briefing on Sunday, Mmamoloko Kubayi called on South Africans to reject vigilantism and allow the government to handle illegal immigration through the proper channels.
South Africa has in recent weeks seen a wave of protests and attacks against other African nationals, some of whom are in the country legally, as anti-immigrant groups blame them for high unemployment and crime.
"A majority of South African artists perform on the continent, and many of them are seeing their gigs being cancelled," Kubayi said, without naming specific artists.
She also said the government was offering support to South African companies abroad that have been affected by the backlash.
"We do believe that it can not only hurt the brand, but can hurt our social cohesion," she said, noting that even some South African citizens had been targeted by anti-immigrant groups because of how they looked or spoke.
Xenophobic sentiment is a recurring issue in South Africa, and has been amplified by politicians seeking support ahead of local elections in November.
Several countries, including Ghana, Malawi and Mozambique, have repatriated nationals over safety concerns. Malawi said on Monday it was bringing hundreds more citizens home by bus from the city of Durban.
"It is profoundly heartbreaking to witness another surge of xenophobic violence in #SouthAfrica," wrote World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on X, calling it a "tragic betrayal" of the African nations that supported South Africa during the struggle against apartheid.
He said that five Ethiopians and five Mozambicans had been killed in attacks.
South Africa's foreign ministry disputed that account, saying that the deaths of the Ethiopians were due to organised crime, not xenophobic violence. The deaths of the Mozambicans are under investigation, it said.
"We deeply regret the tragic loss of life in these recent incidents, as one life lost is simply one too many," said foreign ministry spokesperson Chrispin Phiri.
Latest Stories
-
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
1 minute -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
6 minutes -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
8 minutes -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
14 minutes -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
2 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
2 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
2 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General Superintendent
2 hours -
Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza
3 hours -
US judge strikes down policy suspending immigrant visa processing for 75 nations
3 hours -
MCEs collecting fees from galamseyers are facilitating illegality – Ken Ashigbey
3 hours -
Developer LMI Holdings commits to completing first 700 Saglemi housing units
3 hours -
Africa’s next chapter will be built by institution-builders, not idea-havers
3 hours -
Wenchi Traditional Council suspends Twafohene indefinitely
4 hours -
Kpassa-Merimeri road undergoes filling and levelling works to improve accessibility
4 hours