Audio By Carbonatix
Some political parties have described the performance of the Electoral Commissioner as unimpressive after a year in office.
The New Patriotic Party (NPP), the Progressive People's Party (PPP) and the Convention People's Party (CPP) are asking Charlotte Osei to improve her performance in order to successfully execute the November polls.
The acting Chairman of the NPP, Freddy Blay said: "We want to urge her on...we want to ask her that five months may be a short time but we could have a very significant impact if she is a bit accommodating, diplomatic and can have a listening ear," Mr Blay said.
President Mahama appointed Mrs. Charlotte Kesson Smith-Osei as Chair of the Commission in June 2015.
Her appointment came after the previous Chair, Dr. Kwadwo Afari Gyan retired after almost two decades in office.

Charlotte Osei’s appointment was met with mixed reactions from Ghanaians. Some were excited about the fact that a woman had been appointed to head the EC but others thought she would be weak to run the affairs of the EC the way her predecessor Dr. Afari Gyan did. But her resistance to calls by the NPP for the compilation of a new voters register is, perhaps a testimony of her assertiveness.

The Deputy General Secretary of the NDC, Koku Anyidoho said she has brought new breath to the EC "in terms of making Ghanaians understand that the EC operates according to rules and regulations and not according to the whims and caprices of political parties."
Another controversy that has rocked the Commission under the leadership of Mrs. Osei is the changing of the Commission's logo.

The Commission's new logo
Concerns were raised about the new logo which is similar to the logo of a Turkish institution but the Commissioner defended the decision with a witty remark saying "we liked, we picked it and it makes us happy." It was unveiled together with a new website of the Commission.
Former First Lady and founder of the National Democratic Party( NDP), Nana Konadu Agyeman Rawlings said the Commission 'must get its priorities right and be more proactive.

Nana Konadu Agyeman Rawlings
Mrs. Charlotte Osei recently reshuffled the entire communications department of the EC, sending then director of Public Affairs Christian Owusu-Parry to head the administration department. Principal Public Relations officer, Sylvia Annor was also reassigned to be in charge of protocol.
Perhaps the biggest of the challenges for Mrs Osei is what to do with the new Supreme Court judgment directing her outfit to delete names of NHIS carders from the register and reregister. Even though the judgment was given in May, the Commission is yet to implement the order, a situation which angered judges at the Apex Court.
The judges has therefore ordered the Commission to produce a comprehensive list of persons who registered in 2012 with the National Health Insurance cards by June 29, 2016. This order came after the plaintiffs of the case, Abu Ramadan and Evans Nimako returned to the court for clarification of the May ruling.
Some critics have suggested the EC will not be in a position to supply the Apex court with the list but the Commission has insisted it will.
It remains to be seen if Mrs Charlotte Osei will pass her first real test at the Supreme Court.
Latest Stories
-
Call off strike, give us one month to resolve payment issues – Education Minister appeals to GAUA
39 minutes -
GAUA to consult members after talks with Haruna Iddrisu as strike continues
52 minutes -
Man Utd will reject any bid for Fernandes
1 hour -
Guardiola-Walker fallout revealed in new documentary
1 hour -
NDC’s interest aligns with the Constitution – Srem-Sai defends push for speedy trials
1 hour -
Man City move for ÂŁ85m Bouaddi and still want Fernandez
2 hours -
Rodri lands in Barcelona to complete ‘dream’ move
2 hours -
Being fast doesn’t mean perverting justice – Srem-Sai challenges critics to prove manipulation
2 hours -
Lawyers can’t decide how cases run – Srem-Sai fires back in vacation court row
2 hours -
Aksa case should ordinarily be handled by OSP, not EOCO – Manhyia South MP
3 hours -
Norway’s king admitted to hospital and put on sick leave
3 hours -
Education Minister engages university administrators over ongoing strike
3 hours -
Technological convergence, disruptive innovation and the future of youth education in Ghana
3 hours -
When the sirens become a national anthem: confronting Ghana’s road accident crisis
4 hours -
Aksa bribery scandal exposes deeper failures in Ghana’s procurement system – Manhyia South MP
4 hours