Audio By Carbonatix
The Electoral Commission (EC) says it has re-registered only 6,181 people who previously registered with National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) cards, a situation it says is worrying.
With three days to the end of an ongoing nationwide re-registration exercise, the Commission was expecting the number of re-registered voters to be close to the over 56,000 NHIS registrants it deleted from the electoral roll.
The EC deleted about 56,772 names from the voters register following a Supreme Court order that ruled that the use of the health insurance card for voter registration was unconstitutional.
The apex court also ordered that the affected persons who had registered with the NHIS cards in 2012 be given the opportunity to reregister.
In compliance with this directive, the EC set July 18 to 28 for the re-registration exercise.
Deputy Director of Communication at the Commission, Yussif Ayuba, told Joy News if the figures for the re-registrants do not improve by Friday, thousands of voters would be disenfranchised in the upcoming December 7 Presidential and Parliamentary elections.
“We are encouraging persons whose names appear on the NHIS list to make it a point to go to the various district offices to make sure that they have their names back on the roll,” he admonished.
Signs of a low turnout for the re-registration became evident when on the first day less than one percent of persons whose names restored their names on the EC data base.
Only 550 persons were re-registered across the country on the first day.
Latest Stories
-
Education Minister engages university administrators over ongoing strike
1 hour -
Technological convergence, disruptive innovation and the future of youth education in Ghana
1 hour -
When the sirens become a national anthem: confronting Ghana’s road accident crisis
2 hours -
Aksa bribery scandal exposes deeper failures in Ghana’s procurement system – Manhyia South MP
2 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: KNUST, St. Louis strike gold as quarter-finals dreams come alive
3 hours -
Banks’ pre-tax profit jumps 40% to GH¢23bn
3 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: Anticipation builds as schools battle for supremacy in Round of 16
3 hours -
Banking sector deposits jump 25% to GH¢334.3bn in 2025 — PwC
3 hours -
Hostel Owners Association bares teeth over legality of rent control campaign against exorbitant fees
3 hours -
GCB overtakes Ecobank as Ghana’s largest deposit-taking bank
3 hours -
Young Cocoa Farmers petition Mahama over funding, producer price and start date for new cocoa season
4 hours -
Ruha Benjamin challenges Africa to shape its own AI future
4 hours -
Trump threatens to bomb US ally Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ over Iran deal
4 hours -
FIFA sacks senior executive who criticised Infantino, Sky News understands
4 hours -
Aksa saga: Don’t turn EOCO-OSP roles into turf war – Deputy AG
4 hours