Audio By Carbonatix
As the Black Meteors encamp on Monday to begin the final leg of preparations for the All Africa Games in Algiers, head coach, Sir Cecil Jones Attuquayefio is concerned about the availability of his foreign players.
Speaking to the GNA, the veteran coach said though he would have wished to have the full complement of his foreign players, he was worried about their availability particularly when the Games will be held at a time when most foreign clubs would be busy with pre-season training in anticipation of the incoming season.
He said he had players such as Michael Helegbe, Anthony Annan, Yao Kumordzi and Prince Tagoe in his plans for the Algiers games and was liaising with their respective clubs to see if they would release them.
The coach said his desire to have the foreign segment of the Meteors for the Africa Games was paramount to his plans to use the Algiers Tournament to fine tune his team for the rest of the Olympic Games qualifiers, adding that it was imperative the Meteors qualified for the Beijing Olympics.
On the chances of the Meteors at the Algiers Games, Jones said he could not say outright if the Meteors would claim the title.
He said he expected stiff challenges from other qualifiers such as Cameroon, Guinea, Zambia, Algeria, Tunisia and South Africa and promised he would not disappoint Ghanaians despite the magnitude of the task ahead.
The coach said it would be compelling on the Meteors to make an impact in Algiers so as to boost their morale and strengthen their resolve to snatch an Olympic qualification.
He said to attain their goals, the team had to prepare well and he was happy the boys were responding very well before they went on a short break.
Jones assured Ghanaians that they would make an impact and leave footprints in Algiers.
The Black Meteors, which eliminated the Flying Eagles of Nigeria to qualify for Algiers will camp locally for a few days before relocating to Tunisia to round off preparations for the All Africa Games scheduled for Algiers from July10 to 21.
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Why I stopped trying to quit smoking – Omah Lay
1 hour -
‘What if sharks swallow you’ – Teni warns Burna Boy over ocean stunt
1 hour -
What’s driving men to get penis fillers, despite the risks?
2 hours -
Ngah brace fires Cameroon to historic first WAFCON crown with dominant Malawi victory
2 hours -
Ariana Grande leaves problems at home as her tour hits the UK
2 hours -
‘Ghana was the crime scene’ – the country leading the demand for slavery reparations
2 hours -
Court dismisses Nana Kwame Bediako’s fresh bid to halt $14.9m judgment
2 hours -
Air India pilot’s reported cannabis test: What it can and can’t tell investigators
2 hours -
France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s
2 hours -
Fery wins on return as Djokovic reveals health condition after loss
3 hours -
‘Probably my last year’ – Ronaldo hints at retirement
3 hours -
Arsenal cruise to Community Shield win against disappearing Man City
3 hours -
Barcelona agree £65m deal to sign Rodri from Man City
3 hours -
UHAS halts semester exams over administrative, logistical issues
4 hours -
ECG announces planned maintenance outages in parts of Ashanti Region
4 hours