Audio By Carbonatix
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo says his government will not serve as a buffer for supporters of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) who fall foul of the law.
He said he will not falter to ensure that the law of the country is applied to the letter without fear or favour.
At the swearing-in ceremony of the new Chief Justice, Sophia Akuffo at the State House in Accra Monday, the President registered his disapproval of clashes last Thursday between some NPP youth and police in Savelugu.
Related Article: Savelugu clashes: Police, military intervention caused escalation of hostilities – MP
Some NPP executives reportedly stormed the premises of the Savelugu-Nanton Municipal Assembly to prevent the newly approved Municipal Chief Executive for the area, Hajia Ayishetu Seidu from entering her office.
Wielding machetes and clubs, the youth were said to have made their way to the office of the MCE when they were stopped by some two policemen who were guarding the entrance.
Joy News’ Northern Regional Correspondent, Hashmin Mohammed reported the police officers tried to stop the men but sensing danger, they called for reinforcement.
When the contingent of police and military personnel arrived on the scene, the youth reportedly pelted stones at them while they fired warning shots to disperse the crowd.
The Savelugu MP, Abdul Samed Gunu told Joy News last week the security agencies in the area are to blame for the clashes.
The lawmaker said the police rudely disrupted a meeting held to address the misunderstanding between the NPP executives and the newly approved MCE.
But President Akufo-Addo has condemned the clashes, describing it as an unacceptable act.
He sent a strong message to supporters of the NPP, they will “find no shield” in his government if they take the law into their own hands.
The appointment of Hajia Seidu has been met with animosity since it was announced by the President last month.
Some youth in the area have said the appointee played no role in the “struggle” to bring the NPP into power.
But after an election to confirm her appointment, the appointee polled 50 out of the total 64 votes cast.
The President said his government will not idle by while some groups try to depose people who have been appointed in line with the dictates of the 1992 Constitution.
“I urge the police to do everything in their power to bring to book all those who fall foul of the law,” the President said.
The skirmishes at Savelugu comes months after NPP vigilante group, Delta Force stormed a Kumasi Circuit to free some 13 of their members who were standing trial for assaulting the Ashanti Regional Security Coordinator, George Agyei in April.
The President at the Peduasi Lodge in the Eastern Regional town of Aburi talked tough and promised his government's preparedness to ensure that the perpetrators were brought to book.
He said he will not waiver" to serve Ghanaians under the "condidtion of rule of law" but months later, there have been repeated attacks across the country following announcement of the various Metropolitan, Municipal and District Chief Executives (MMDCEs).
Watch video below:
Latest Stories
-
Mahama announces new strategy to keep galamseyers out of reclaimed forest reserves
4 minutes -
KFC Ghana and the Gh¢15 promotion: Where does corporate responsibility begin?
7 minutes -
Ahafo Minister cuts sod for 24-hour market project in Tano North Â
17 minutes -
14 arrested over suspected narcotics cultivation, distribution in Upper East
21 minutes -
Lands Minister backs calls for strategic investor to revive VALCO
23 minutes -
Non-interest bonds could help finance Ghana’s hospitals, roads and schools – Dr Shaibu Ali
31 minutes -
Accra High court halts Buffer Stock trial pending Supreme Court ruling on vacation sittings
36 minutes -
Teshie Telephone Pole residents appeal for urgent action over prolonged water shortage
38 minutes -
Understanding significance of investments
44 minutes -
KMA donates 400 recycled plastic desks to four Kumasi SHSs
47 minutes -
IES calls for enforcement of Ghana’s Domestic Market Obligation as TOR resumes operations
50 minutes -
Galamsey destroying fish farms, threatening aquaculture – Fisheries Commission
1 hour -
Adu-Boahene trial put on hold pending Supreme Court decision on legal vacation
1 hour -
Toxic exposure from galamsey puts elderly at greater risk of kidney damage — Public health expert
2 hours -
Big talk, small receipts: the politics of promises and policy
2 hours