Audio By Carbonatix
Ghanaian boxer Albert Mensah may have won the IBF intercontinental light welterweight title but seems to be heading for a major beef with his local trainer Napoleon Tagoe. He is accusing his boxer of signing a managerial contract with US-based Justice Agbeko, a former Ghana Boxing Authority Secretary and trainer Joseph Awinongya without his knowledge.
Coach Napoleon Tagoe who runs the Will Power Gym in Accra explained to Joy Sports that he was unable to accompany his boxer to the US for the bout due to ticketing problems. ‘So due to this situation Justice Agbeko coaxed my boxer into signing a managerial agreement with him and made Joseph Awinongya, a US-based Ghanaian trainer his coach,’ the former African champion alleged.
According to Coach Napo, the boxer already has a managerial contract with Joshua Clottey’s former manager Freddy Annan of Base Sports Management, UK. Mensah defeated Australian Michael Katsidis in Las Vegas last Friday through a majority decision to claim the IBF Intercontinental title and has improved chances of becoming a world champion. But his long-time trainer Napoleon Tagoe says he will not allow his boxer to proceed with the new managerial arrangement.
‘Albert Mensah has an existing contract with Mr Freddy Annan. He has spent a lot of money on the boxer and this is the time to take his percentages from the boxer’s purse. I was a signatory to that agreement and I will not allow anyone to have any other agreement with the boxer,’ Napoleon Tagoe told Joy Sports.
Before winning the IBF title, Albert Mensah the Terrano had won the WBA Pan African and IBF International light welterweight titles.
This is the second time Coach Napoleon Tagoe is encountering such a problem. The first one was last year when his boxer Emmanuel Tagoe, the IBF inter-continental super featherweight champion opted to be trained by legend Azumah Nelson. Meanwhile attempts to reach Coach Joseph Awinongya for his side of the story failed.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ahafo Minister cuts sod for 24-hour market project in Tano North
2 minutes -
14 arrested over suspected narcotics cultivation, distribution in Upper East
5 minutes -
Lands Minister backs calls for strategic investor to revive VALCO
8 minutes -
Non-interest bonds could help finance Ghana’s hospitals, roads and schools – Dr Shaibu Ali
15 minutes -
Accra High court halts Buffer Stock trial pending Supreme Court ruling on vacation sittings
20 minutes -
Teshie Telephone Pole residents appeal for urgent action over prolonged water shortage
23 minutes -
Understanding significance of investments
28 minutes -
KMA donates 400 recycled plastic desks to four Kumasi SHSs
32 minutes -
IES calls for enforcement of Ghana’s Domestic Market Obligation as TOR resumes operations
35 minutes -
Galamsey destroying fish farms, threatening aquaculture – Fisheries Commission
48 minutes -
Adu-Boahene trial put on hold pending Supreme Court decision on legal vacation
56 minutes -
Toxic exposure from galamsey puts elderly at greater risk of kidney damage — Public health expert
1 hour -
Big talk, small receipts: the politics of promises and policy
1 hour -
Mahama says Ghana will reduce 70% medicine import dependence under five-year plan
1 hour -
Study reveals high rate of uropathogens among Ghanaian elderly
1 hour