Audio By Carbonatix
Former Senegal international striker Jules-Francois Bocande died on Monday in Metz, France at the age of 54, Senegalese Press Agency (APS) confirmed in Dakar.
Bocande had been ill for several months after suffering a stroke and died after a surgery, hospital reports said. He kicked off his career at Senegal’s Casa Sport in 1978 before moving abroad to play for Metz in 1984, where he enjoyed his greatest success in football, scoring 25 goals and earning the then Championnat de France top scorer in the 1985-86 season.
Bocande later played for Paris Saint Germain, Nice and Lens and took part in three editions of the Africa Cup of Nations -1986, 1990 and 1992.
He was named the Teranga Lions coach in 1994 but would spend only one year at the helm of the team, before being replaced and asked to sit as a member of the coaching staff.
“I'm totally devastated,” Senegal FA boss Augustin Senghor said.
“It's an enormous loss for Senegalese football. We knew that he was suffering. Bocande revived Senegalese football. He gave everything to Senegalese football through his talent and his commitment.” Metz vice president Carlo Molinari, who worked closely with Bocande between 1984 and 1986 said the former player came to France a while ago and asked for help to undergo a surgery.
“We had to arrange for his treatment at the club, but I knew it was going to be difficult because he was in a very bad shape. But I never expected this fatality,” Molinari said.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Mahama announces new strategy to keep galamseyers out of reclaimed forest reserves
2 minutes -
KFC Ghana and the Gh¢15 promotion: Where does corporate responsibility begin?
5 minutes -
Ahafo Minister cuts sod for 24-hour market project in Tano North Â
15 minutes -
14 arrested over suspected narcotics cultivation, distribution in Upper East
19 minutes -
Lands Minister backs calls for strategic investor to revive VALCO
22 minutes -
Non-interest bonds could help finance Ghana’s hospitals, roads and schools – Dr Shaibu Ali
29 minutes -
Accra High court halts Buffer Stock trial pending Supreme Court ruling on vacation sittings
34 minutes -
Teshie Telephone Pole residents appeal for urgent action over prolonged water shortage
37 minutes -
Understanding significance of investments
42 minutes -
KMA donates 400 recycled plastic desks to four Kumasi SHSs
46 minutes -
IES calls for enforcement of Ghana’s Domestic Market Obligation as TOR resumes operations
48 minutes -
Galamsey destroying fish farms, threatening aquaculture – Fisheries Commission
1 hour -
Adu-Boahene trial put on hold pending Supreme Court decision on legal vacation
1 hour -
Toxic exposure from galamsey puts elderly at greater risk of kidney damage — Public health expert
2 hours -
Big talk, small receipts: the politics of promises and policy
2 hours