Audio By Carbonatix
The death toll following Wednesday’s attack on some youth of Japekrom in the Brong Ahafo Region, has risen to four.
The deceased persons, which include the youth chief (Mmrantehene) of Japekrom were returning from Drobo where they had performed traditional rites as part of activities to observe the ‘Munufie’ festival.
According to Joy News’ correspondent Precious Semevor, the deceased all of whom hail from Japekrom, were shot on their return to Japekrom after performing the rites in Drobo.
Read: One dead, 15 wounded as two Brong Ahafo towns clash
The two neighboring towns have a long standing chieftaincy and land disputes which continue to spark rivalry between them.
Their relations worsened in the year 2000, after the Sunyani High Court ruled that the matter be referred to the Stool Lands Boundary Demarcation Committee, which is the body empowered with jurisdiction over the matter.
The chief and people of Japekrom regarded the High Court’s decision as a victory and jubilated in the town, a situation which nearly led to a clash between the two towns just after the ruling.
Public Relations Officer for the Brong Ahafo Regional Police Command, Chief Inspector Augustine Kingsley Oppong, told Joy News no arrest has been made so far.
“The police cannot arrest discriminatorily and thus have begun investigations into the matter,” he explained.
He said the command has deployed more personnel to the area to forestall reoccurrence as they investigate to arrest the perpetrators.
Meanwhile, Joy News has learnt that that youth of Japekrom are said to be plotting a possible revenge attack on Drobo, despite appeals from their chief for calm.
Latest Stories
-
Republic Bank deepens commitment to homeownership with nationwide JoyNews Habitat Fair Partnership
3 minutes -
Archbishop Duncan-Williams links galamsey to Ghana’s wider culture of indiscipline
5 minutes -
India’s clean energy leadership in green hydrogen
14 minutes -
Ghana’s Road Safety Crisis: We must move from reaction to prevention
17 minutes -
Duncan-Williams urges Church to educate Ghanaians on dangers of galamsey and gold smuggling
27 minutes -
New Defence Minister pledges technology-led defence posture
32 minutes -
India and Africa: Relations beyond rhetorics
35 minutes -
Top Zambian opposition figures arrested days after presidential vote
35 minutes -
‘I’m not against enforcing the law’ – Archbishop Duncan-Williams defends call for prayer against galamsey, gold smuggling
41 minutes -
Tantalus or Triumph? Ghana and the Harvest of Economic Recovery
48 minutes -
Ghanaians have no idea how much foreigners make from galamsey – Archbishop Duncan-Williams
1 hour -
Today’s front pages: Monday, August 17, 2026
1 hour -
‘If you want to imprison me over my friendship with Bawumia, go ahead’ – Rev. Kusi Boateng
2 hours -
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
4 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
4 hours