Audio By Carbonatix
Togo claim Emmanuel Adebayor has changed his mind and will represent the country at the African Nations Cup.
Tottenham striker Adebayor said last year that he would not go to the tournament, which runs from January 19 to February 10 in South Africa, due to a row over team security and unpaid bonuses.
But the 28-year-old appears to have had a change of heart, with reports in Africa on Monday morning suggesting the striker has flown to Ghana to meet up with the Hawks for their pre-tournament training camp.
"Of course we're in the African Nations Cup with Adebayor, we will be together in South Africa," head of the Togo Football Federation, Ameyi Gabriel, is reported to have told Radio Algeria International.
"It is very important to have him there because he is our player and captain of the team."
Although Adebayor has only scored three times for Spurs this year, his absence will be a big blow to the Londoners as their only other recognized striker is Jermain Defoe.
Manager Andre Villas-Boas has regularly claimed he does not need to add another striker to his squad in the January transfer window, but he has been linked with another bid for Internacional and Brazil forward Leandro Damiao in recent days.
It is unknown whether Adebayor will return to London for Saturday's home game against QPR or remain with Togo until the tournament begins.
Should Togo make the final of the competition, Adebayor will miss four Tottenham matches, although he will return early if, as expected, the team fail to make it out of a tough group that contains Ivory Coast, Tunisia and Algeria.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Technological convergence, disruptive innovation and the future of youth education in Ghana
19 minutes -
When the sirens become a national anthem: confronting Ghana’s road accident crisis
48 minutes -
Aksa bribery scandal exposes deeper failures in Ghana’s procurement system – Manhyia South MP
50 minutes -
Luv FM High School Debate: KNUST, St. Louis strike gold as quarter-finals dreams come alive
1 hour -
Banks’ pre-tax profit jumps 40% to GH¢23bn
1 hour -
Luv FM High School Debate: Anticipation builds as schools battle for supremacy in Round of 16
2 hours -
Banking sector deposits jump 25% to GH¢334.3bn in 2025 — PwC
2 hours -
Hostel Owners Association bares teeth over legality of rent control campaign against exorbitant fees
2 hours -
GCB overtakes Ecobank as Ghana’s largest deposit-taking bank
2 hours -
Young Cocoa Farmers petition Mahama over funding, producer price and start date for new cocoa season
2 hours -
Ruha Benjamin challenges Africa to shape its own AI future
2 hours -
Trump threatens to bomb US ally Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ over Iran deal
3 hours -
FIFA sacks senior executive who criticised Infantino, Sky News understands
3 hours -
Aksa saga: Don’t turn EOCO-OSP roles into turf war – Deputy AG
3 hours -
Abandoned Dome-Berekuso-Kitase road project should not become a waste of taxpayers’ money — chief warns
3 hours