Audio By Carbonatix
The billionaire daughter of Angola's ex-president, Isabel dos Santos, has said she would consider running for president in the next election in 2022.
That's despite an asset freeze and accusations of diverting more than a billion dollars of state money, which she denies.
In an interview with the Portuguese TV channel RTP on Wednesday she was asked whether she would be interested in the role of president. She answered: "It's possible... I will do everything I need to do to defend and serve my country."
When her father José Eduardo dos Santos was president he appointed her as the head of the state oil company Sonangol.
An Angolan court ordered the seizure of the assets and bank accounts belonging to her, her husband Sindika Dokolo and associate Mario Leite da Silva in December.
It came after accusations of steering more than $1bn (£766m) from Sonangol and official diamond trader Sodiam to firms where they held stakes.
In the interview, she denied the accusations saying it was an attack on her family and campaign against any political ambitions she has.
"We cannot use corruption, or the supposed fight against corruption, in a selective way to neutralise who we think could be future political candidates... It’s about the fight for power," she said.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaians in South Africa pour out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
19 minutes -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
28 minutes -
Energy Commission champions Clean Energy Transition
40 minutes -
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
57 minutes -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
1 hour -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
2 hours -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
2 hours -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
2 hours -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
3 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
3 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
3 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
5 hours -
FHU alumnus launches medical textbook
5 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Obeng clinches bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
5 hours -
Rescuers search for more than 20 trapped after Philippines building collapse
6 hours