John Awuah is the CEO of the Ghana Association of Bankers

The Ghana Association of Bankers (GAB) has expressed worry over the robbery incident that occurred on Monday, at James Town Accra.

A press statement, jointly signed by the Chief Executive Officer, John Awuah and President of the Association, Mansa Nettey stated that it has met with the top hierarchy of National Security, the Inspector General of Police, the Management of the Bank of Ghana (BoG), and third party Private Security Providers of banks in order to find solutions that will prevent such an appalling incident from happening again.

“A number of key decisions and recommendations were made to enhance the security of banking staff, customers, service providers, including personnel of the Ghana Police Service, cash and other facilities of banks.

“We will continue keeping abreast with the latest industry standards in compliance and certification requirements of Cash in Transit (CIT) operations; strengthen our dialogue with the providers of CIT service to develop a comprehensive infrastructure; implement aggressively proactive approach to staying at the forefront of the continually evolving security threats that the banking sector is exposed to,” the statement added.

It also sympathised with all who were affected by the incident on Monday.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the family, friends and work colleagues of Constable Emmanuel Osei and the other casualty in this unfortunate incident. May they Rest In Peace,” GAB said

The GAB further encouraged its customers to utilise the available digital banking channels offered by the industry to minimise the use of cash.

On June 14, 2021, a police officer, Emmanuel Osei and a hawker, Afua Badu, were attacked by a group of armed robbers who trailed the bullion van in a taxi and on a motorbike and upon arrival at a less crowded location, fired indiscriminately, killing them instantly.

According to an eyewitness, the police officer, Emmanuel Osei was providing security for the van while the young lady, Afua Badu, was a bystander who witnessed the incident. The driver of the van also sustained severe injuries and is currently responding to treatment at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital.