The interior minister has given a stern warning to Regional Police commanders to arrest perpetrators of political violence or be sanctioned.
Ambrose Dery said the government will not compromise the peace of this country on the altar of political expediency.
His comments come in the wake of the culture of impunity which has seen violence by youth groups affiliated to the governing New Patriotic Party.
In the Sisala District of the Northern Region, angry youth of the governing party locked the offices of the DCE accusing him of hoarding contracts.
In the Karaga District of the same Region the situation was not so different. The youth in the area chased out the DCE and the Regional Coordinator of the YEA accusing them of failing to provide them with jobs.
They burnt motor bikes and threatened the DCE, Alhassan Yabdoo who had to take refuge at the police station.
When the police made some initial arrests, the angry youth in bravado broke into the custody of the police and went ahead to free the suspects.
The Ashanti Region, Central and Greater Accra Regions have had their share of violence by the party youth.
There have been moments of political insecurity with many wondering where the vigilante groups could attack next.
Public toilets have been seized and so have transport terminals. The chorus by the youth of the party is they want jobs and will stop at nothing to get the jobs they need.
The criminal activities by party youth have angered many Ghanaians, including the minority group, civil society groups and other stakeholders.
There have been calls on the government to act expeditiously to keep the activities of these party youths in check.
Speaking to journalists in Parliament on Thursday, the Minister of Interior said government will not pay lip service to the fight against the culture of impunity.
He said in Karaga and Gwolu the police have made efforts to arrest to the perpetrators and are facing prosecution.
To add more impetus to the fight, the Minister said he has issued a warning to all the regional police commanders to arrest the perpetrators of political violence or they will be made to face the law.
According to Ambrose Dery the president has ambitious plans which he is working feverishly to execute.
He said the president will not be distracted by such misguided acts of violence by political party youth.
“No true member of the NPP can go against the president’s comments,” he stated adding, the president has a social contract with the people, one of which is to keep the peace of this county.
That contract will not be sacrificed, Dery hinted.
There is a social contract between the people and Nana Akufo-Addo and we need that kind of security to keep going forward.
He said the arrests in Gwolu and Karaga are just an example of how government is prepared to bring the perpetrators to book.
- Police arrest man flogging toddler in viral video
- ‘Akufo-Addo must resign; he’s giving us too much headache’ – Kpebu
- Loans to become more expensive as BoG hikes policy rate to 24.5%
- Black Sherif releases ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Nigerian oil export terminal had theft line into sea for 9 years
- Ghana’s debt to GDP is not properly accounted for – Ato Forson
- BoG dollar auction: Demand outstrips supply by $72.2m as $1 hits ¢10.92
- Brother stands in as groom skips wedding to train
- IMF won’t lend to Ghana if debt levels are unsustainable – Theo Acheampong
- ‘Forget about votes; call Chairman Wontumi to account’ – Martin Kpebu to Akufo-Addo
- KNUST students develop cost-effective instrument to measure temperature and light energy from the sun
- MP has been a challenge in fight against ‘galamsey’ in my district – Ellembelle DCE
- 2 women in court over alleged assault on Besease M/A JHS teacher
- Alberta Mortty: I love my breast; I love my life more
- Assistant headmaster of Mpatasie D/A dies in ‘galamsey’ pit
- 36 arrested in Ejisu for alleged network marketing scamming
- Akufo-Addo’s fight against illegal mining is a complete ‘419’ – Sammy Gyamfi
- #NoToGalamsey: Failure to deal with ‘galamsey’ could lead to street terrorism – Prof. Gatsi
- AngloGold Ashanti pleased with community support to ward off illegal miners from Obuasi concession
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Prosecute Chairman Wontumi, Charles Bissue, others neck-deep in galamsey – NDC to Akufo-Addo
- Cities and Habitats, Ecobank launch ‘Rent to Own Boafo) home ownership package
- A-G advises Interior Ministry to compensate Ejura shooting victims
- GEPA optimistic of achieving 2029 NTES revenue target of $25.3bn
- Two health institutions in UK award £10 million to fight non-communicable diseases in West Africa