Arsenal have announced the signing of Malaga left-back Nacho Monreal for around £10m, subject to the completion of formal registration processes.
Monreal has agreed a long-term deal, thought to be four and a half years.
The 26-year-old has made 54 appearances for Malaga since joining from Osasuna in 2011 and won seven caps for Spain.
Arsenal made their move after Kieran Gibbs was ruled out for three weeks with a thigh strain sustained in Wednesday’s 2-2 draw with Liverpool.
That left Andre Santos as their only recognised left-back.
“We are delighted that Nacho Monreal has agreed to join us,” said Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger.
“We have been monitoring him for some time now and are really pleased that we’ve been able to agree this move today.
“Monreal is a strong left-sided defender with good experience at both club and international level. He is a technically gifted player, a good crosser in the final third and strong in the air.
“Monreal will add quality to our squad and of course, to our defensive unit. We all look forward to him playing for us.”
The 5ft 10in defender, Wenger’s only signing in the January transfer window, is cup tied for this season’s Champions League.
Arsenal face Bayern Munich in the last 16 of Europe’s elite club competition, at home on 19 February and away on 13 March.
Monreal will link up with former team-mate Santi Cazorla, who Arsenal signed from Malaga for around £15m last summer.
- Nana Agradaa re-arrested after being granted bail
- SSNIT OBS scandal: State sues Ernest Thompson, 4 others again
- Joe Ghartey files appeal against Sekondi High Court’s ruling
- Rastafarian Saga: Achimota, all schools under GES cannot be sued – Attorney-General
- Suspend prospecting activities in all forest reserves – Lands Minister directs
- Rastafarian case: Achimota School fails to respond to suit, case adjourned to April 30
- Abandon agenda 111 hospitals to resource NHIS – Abekah-Nkrumah tells government
- Akuapem Poloo regains freedom after meeting bail conditions
- I was the least expected candidate – John Kumah speaks on his deputy ministerial appointment
- I don’t know Hearts of Oak, Kotoko is the biggest club in Ghana – Fabio Gama
Man hangs himself at in-law’s house after he caught wife cheating
Airtel may return to Ghana’s telecom market
One dead, 9 others hospitalised after alleged food poisoning at a funeral in Obuasi
Begoro Police removes lifeless body from stationary timber truck
Broadcasting law can help make Ghana’s media safe for all – Advocates for Christ Ghana
Malaria vaccine hailed as potential breakthrough
3 police officers in Seikwa interdicted for secretly burying man who died in custody
Police investigators concluding reconstruction of crime scene of 10-year-old boy’s ritual murder
Akuapem Poloo regains freedom after meeting bail conditions
131 youths in Asutifi North trained in livelihood empowerment skills
Why Tina Turner belongs in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Enimil Ashon: Wikipedia’s insult of the black race
Shani Cooper-Zubida: Earth Day 2021 – An unprecedented opportunity to restore our Earth
Kwasi Appiah unilaterally stripped Gyan off Black Stars captaincy; it led to worse AFCON performance – Tanko
Police commence investigations into alleged suicide of Queen of Peace JHS headmaster