Audio By Carbonatix
Artificial intelligence could lead to the extinction of humanity, experts - including the heads of OpenAI and Google Deepmind - have warned.
Dozens have supported a statement published on the webpage of the Centre for AI Safety.
"Mitigating the risk of extinction from AI should be a global priority alongside other societal-scale risks such as pandemics and nuclear war" it reads.
But others say the fears are overblown.Â
Sam Altman, chief executive of ChatGPT-maker OpenAI, Demis Hassabis, chief executive of Google DeepMind and Dario Amodei of Anthropic have all supported the statement.
Dr Geoffrey Hinton, who issued an earlier warning about risks from super-intelligent AI, has also supported the call.
Yoshua Bengio, professor of computer science at the University of Montreal, also signed.
Dr Hinton, Prof Bengio and NYU Professor Yann LeCunn are often described as the "godfathers of AI" for their groundbreaking work in the field - for which they jointly won the 2018 Turing Award, which recognises outstanding contributions in computer science.
But Prof LeCunn, who also works at Meta, has said these apocalyptic warnings are overblown.
This is absolutely correct.
— Yann LeCun (@ylecun) May 4, 2023
The most common reaction by AI researchers to these prophecies of doom is face palming. https://t.co/2561GwUvmh
Many other experts similarly believe that fears of AI wiping out humanity are unrealistic, and a distraction from issues such as bias in systems that are already a problem.
Arvind Narayanan, a computer scientist at Princeton University, has previously told the BBC that sci-fi-like disaster scenarios are unrealistic: "Current AI is nowhere near capable enough for these risks to materialise. As a result, it's distracted attention away from the near-term harms of AI".

Pause urged
Media coverage of the supposed "existential" threat from AI has snowballed since March 2023 when experts, including Tesla boss Elon Musk, signed an open letter urging a halt to the development of the next generation of AI technology.
That letter asked if we should "develop non-human minds that might eventually outnumber, outsmart, obsolete and replace us".
In contrast, the new campaign has a very short statement, designed to "open up discussion".

The statement compares the risk to that posed by nuclear war. In a blog post OpenAI recently suggested superintelligence might be regulated in a similar way to nuclear energy: "We are likely to eventually need something like an IAEA [International Atomic Energy Agency] for superintelligence efforts" the firm wrote.
'Be reassured'
Both Sam Altman and Google chief executive Sundar Pichai are among technology leaders to have discussed AI regulation recently with the prime minister.
Speaking to reporters about the latest warning over AI risk, Rishi Sunak stressed the benefits to the economy and society.
"You've seen that recently it was helping paralysed people to walk, discovering new antibiotics, but we need to make sure this is done in a way that is safe and secure," he said.
"Now that's why I met last week with CEOs of major AI companies to discuss what are the guardrails that we need to put in place, what's the type of regulation that should be put in place to keep us safe.
"People will be concerned by the reports that AI poses existential risks, like pandemics or nuclear wars.
"I want them to be reassured that the government is looking very carefully at this."
He had discussed the issue recently with other leaders, at the G7 summit of leading industrialised nations, Mr Sunak said, and would raise it again in the US soon.
The G7 has recently created a working group on AI.
Latest Stories
-
Project C.U.R.E begins 10-day assessment to support Ghana Medical Trust Fund’s NCD fight
4 minutes -
Government assures public of stable ‘fugu’ prices amid Wednesday-wearing policy
7 minutes -
Ghana on track for full-scale tomato production by year-end – Deputy Agric Minister
11 minutes -
Danny Addo to host Undignified 1.0 event and album launch
12 minutes -
Obaapanin Mary Adwoa Ohenewa Awuah
13 minutes -
Afia Adepa Kwarteng thanks God with ‘Oguama Mogya’ mini album after surviving life-threatening surgery
15 minutes -
Mahama consoles families after terrorist attack kills 7 Ghanaian traders in Burkina Faso
19 minutes -
John Jinapor rallies support for Gonjaland Youth Association’s Golden Jubilee Congress in Buipe
20 minutes -
‘We must use this crisis to pivot’ – Mahama urges local processing as cocoa sector reels
23 minutes -
State initiates compensation talks in Latif Iddrisu Police brutality case after eight years
36 minutes -
Gov’t engaging Burkinabe authorities to protect Ghanaian tomato traders – Dumelo
38 minutes -
Tano North residents commend MCE over infrastructure drive
57 minutes -
‘I’m a cocoa farmer too’ — Mahama speaks on price cuts and farmer pain amid crises
1 hour -
Underground Mining Alliance donates Vein Finder to sickle cell unit of AngloGold Ashanti Health Foundation
1 hour -
Police re-arrest Abdul-Aziz Iddrisu, suspected killer in Bawku chieftaincy violence
1 hour
