Audio By Carbonatix
David Cameron is to urge school leavers to sign up to a volunteering scheme this summer as part of his much-criticised Big Society agenda.
Youngsters will be urged to register for the new National Citizen Service via social networking site Facebook.
Pilot schemes will be launched in 12 areas of the country focused on building teamwork, leadership skills and assisting community projects.
Critics of the Big Society have said it is too vague and is a cover for cuts.
Labour say community and voluntary groups cannot take on more responsibility if their central funding is being cut and councils are being asked to make huge savings without alternative support in place.
The National Citizen Service, launched during the election campaign, is a central plank of the prime minister's "mission" to empower communities and encourage volunteering.
Launching the Facebook recruitment page, Mr Cameron will say the scheme can "inspire" people and help them to understand what they are capable of achieving.
"This summer you will be able to spend two months mixing with other young people, learning new skills, and putting something back into your community," he will say.
Mr Cameron wants to dramatically increase the number of places on the scheme, with 30,000 available in 2012 and ultimately giving all 16-year-olds the opportunity to take part.
So far 1,000 people have signed up and another 8,000 have expressed an interest.
The pilot programmes will start in July after the end of GCSE examinations and will end in National Citizen Service graduation ceremonies attended by family and friends.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
3 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
3 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
4 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
4 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
4 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
4 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
4 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
4 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
4 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
5 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
5 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
5 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
5 hours