A carpenter called to fix a door smashed by a burglar was wrongly arrested when forensic officers mistook his DNA for the thief’s.
Jason Gaspard, 40, cut himself on glass while at the property and officers found his blood the next day, reports The Mirror.
He was called to the police station and thrown in a cell for an hour before officers ¬realised the mistake.
Mr Gaspard, of Hove, East Sussex, criticised officers, accusing them of heavy-handedness and failing to be sincere in their apology to him.
“Stupid isn’t the word – this was ¬ridiculous,” he said.
“It was absolutely mad. I kept thinking what could all this be about.
I was particularly miffed because I had left a lady without water while I went to see the police about it all.”
Mr Gaspard said he may now seek legal advice over the actions of Sussex Police.
A Sussex Police spokesman said: “Unknown to officers, the man cut his finger at the scene of the crime and as a result he was arrested by appointment on suspicion of burglary.
“After a short time in custody the man was eliminated from police inquiries and immediately released.
Sussex Police apologise for any inconvenience caused to the man as a result of his arrest.”
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- Mankessim murder: Accused persons allegedly confess to killing 2 more people
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- SIM re-registration: National Security has warned Akufo-Addo against blockage – Deputy Minority Whip
- My husband left me for a ‘sugar mummy’ after 9 months of marriage – Woman shares experience
- Halt operations in Tano Nimiri Forest Reserve – Lands Ministry tells Chairman ‘Wontumi”s mining company
- 2 sustain gunshot wounds at mining firm in Samreboi
- Police confirm another murder orchestrated by Mankessim suspects
- Banking Sector Clean-up: We should have allowed institutional disciplines to work – Alhassan Andani
- Hosts Ghana clash with Nigeria in MEA Rugby League Championship final
- BoG must review policy rate increases; economy not responding –Alhassan Andani
- There is no blueprint and formula for identifying football talents in Ghana – Faisal Chibsah
- Prosecution is an attempt to tarnish his reputation – Danadams Pharmaceuticals CEO lawyers
- Thomas Partey included in Arsenal squad to face Tottenham Hotspur
- Woman kills former landlord with hammer, steals $40k through forged checks
- Labour MP suspended, apologises after calling Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng ‘superficially’ black
- Video of alleged ‘galamsey’ men in gun battle with authorities emerges on social media
- GRA set to roll out E-invoicing from tomorrow October 1
- US-based Oakley signs agreement with Benjamin Azamati
- 16 suspects arrested over shooting incident at Asaman Tamfoe
- Ivory Coast raises cocoa farmgate price by 9% for 2022/2023 harvest
- Pact with Rabat is in force and being implemented – Head of Spanish Diplomacy
- Good Morning America celebrates Ghana as host Robin Roberts explores the country
- MultiChoice teams up with BetKing to launch SuperPicks for new football season