The Ghana cedi continued its good running against the US dollar for almost two weeks as it sold at ¢12.60 to one US dollar on the forex or retail market.
This is coming after it recorded a little over 17% depreciation to the world’s most important currency in January 2023 alone.
The local currency has recorded about 2% improvement in value to the American ‘greenback’ this week, signalling to investors that the government is progressing with its Domestic Debt Exchange Programme.
However, the same cannot be said about the cedi’s performance against the euro and the pound as it has declined slightly against these two major foreign currencies.
The cedi is going for ¢15.5 and ¢13.50 to the pound and the euro respectively.
The Bank of Ghana is however quoting one dollar at ¢10.804 on the interbank market.
Fast forward, analysts are optimistic that the currency will maintain its strong momentum against the US dollar if the government shows a strong commitment to stabilising the economy through prudent fiscal management.
The cedi gained a marginal 0.78% value to the American greenback last week to trade at about ¢12.85 to one US dollar.
The Central Bank during that period sold about $22 million on the spot market to help tame the corporate demand.
- 3 die, 8 go blind as FDA cautions against certain eyedrop brands
- Parliament approves all six ministerial nominees
- Get financing assurances from creditors, partners before Board approval – IMF to Ghana
- Minority MPs oppose approval of 2 Supreme Court Justice nominees
- Playback: MPs voting on approval of Akufo-Addo’s ministerial appointees
- Akufo-Addo laughs over Volta Regional Minister’s new nickname- ‘Triple 66’
- AFCON 2023Q: Benching Andre Ayew was my choice – Chris Hughton
- ‘I’ll direct that your hand be cut off one day’ – Speaker teases Afenyo-Markin
- We’ve had positive talks with China over $1.7bn debt – Finance Minister
- 2023 AFCONQ: Ghana 1-0 Angola: Player Ratings – Partey shines, Mensah struggles
- U23 AFCON 2023Q: Black Meteors held to 1-1 draw in Algeria
- Principal fired after Florida students shown Michelangelo statue
- Vatican returns Parthenon sculptures to Greece
- Chad nationalises assets belonging to Exxon Mobile
- NPP Bono Regional Organizer supports TESCON with 200k
- Mbappe scores in France heavy win over Netherlands
- This woman left her AirPods on a plane. She tracked them to an airport worker’s home
- Cedi depreciates by 22.1% in March 2023 – BoG
- I am not ready to die – Bagbin says as he calls for adjournment of prolonged sitting
- Ghana’s debt unchanged at ¢575.7bn – BoG
- Government makes additional payment for outstanding coupons
- Speaker congratulates approved ministerial nominees
- Playback: One-on-one with Prof Ofori Birikorang on PM Express
- This Saturday on Newsfile
- 1.4 million tons of food are lost annually along the food chain