The Ghana cedi is expected to end 2023 at ¢12.40 to one US dollar, Fitch Solutions has predicted.
This means the rate of depreciation will be far lower than the 38% recorded last year.
The research and market information firm’s argument is based on the premise that Ghana will secure an International Monetary Fund-support programme by May 2023 that will go a long way to cushion the cedi against foreign exchange pressures.
It added that “while short-term exchange rate volatility will persist, we believe that the cedi will stabilise once a formal creditors’ committee is formed and the IMF executive board approves Ghana’s programme”.
The cedi has so far depreciated by about 14% to the US dollar in the retail market, selling at about ¢12. It started the year at about ¢11.30 to a dollar.
However, it has lost about 21% in value to the American greenback on the interbank market, going for about ¢10.95. It begun the year 2023 at ¢8.57 to one US dollar.
For the past two weeks, the local currency has posted mixed performance on the markets, although the Central Bank increased its intervention in the spot market. This is due to heightening demand for foreign exchange as a result of market uncertainties.
Last week, the cedi lost 1.03% week-on-week against the dollar, closing at a mid-rate of ¢12.10 to one US dollar$.
It also lost 1.34% against the pound and 0.96% against the euro.
- Leaked tape scandal: Supt. George Asare invites 3 witnesses to testify against IGP
- Radio Ada journalist on trial over publication of fake news about McDan is dead
- Kwame Dadzie: Our celebrities should stage ‘demo’ on creative arts matters too
- Tigst Assefa smashes world marathon record in Berlin, Eliud Kipchoge achieves record fifth win
- Ebenezer Owusu writes: Things are not the same anymore
- It’s difficult doing business in Ghana, 21.9% tax on hospitality businesses harsh – D-Black
- Prof. Stephen Adei partners Chirano Gold Mines to roll out Innovative Literacy Program for local communities
- Democracy comes with rights and responsibilities – Enam Akoetey chides #OccupyJulorbiHouse organisers
- Dr UN Award incredibly stupid; I can’t believe I fell for that nonsense – D-Black
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Police apologise to public inconvenienced during protest
- GPL Week 2: Eric Bosomtwi stunner buries Kotoko in Bibiani
- Rwanda suspends coach for Black Queens are “like men” comment after 7-0 demolition
- Must it take you 2 years to publish alleged $1m bribery audio? – Barker-Vormawor’s integrity questioned
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Asking Special Prosecutor to quit over ‘frustrations’ wrong – Domelevo
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Current Assets Declaration Law is a joke – Domelovo