Audio By Carbonatix
Chelsea have defended captain John Terry over claims he knew of secret cash payments for a behind-the-scenes tour of the club's training ground.
The News of the World alleged Terry was present when a middleman accepted £10,000 only yards from manager Carlo Ancelotti at the Cobham venue.
But Ancelotti said of the 29-year-old: "This is not correct. This is not true.
"The club, me, the players, have a lot of confidence in John Terry and John Terry did nothing wrong."
The newspaper alleged that England captain Terry was present when £10,000 was handed over in cash and and wanted £8,000 of it to go to a children's charity, with the other £2,000 going to the middleman.
When asked whether Terry had told him the story was not true, Ancelotti replied: "Yes. I have a lot of confidence in my captain."
Ancelotti also added that Terry had been "very quiet, very calm, very concentrated for the game" ahead of Chelsea's 1-1 draw with West Ham on Sunday.
Chelsea had earlier issued a statement defending Terry.
"Chelsea FC host a large number of visitors at the training ground throughout the year, the majority of which are made up of club sponsors, our charity partners and supporters," it read.
"The players play a big part in these visits and John Terry naturally has a leading role, hosting a significant number of children and their families this season through our partner charities.
"John has also organised a number of visits for families with sick children as a result of personal correspondence.
"Contrary to media reports and the appearance of edited video [on the News of the World website] this morning, the club is confident that at no time did Terry ask for or accept money in relation to visits to the training ground."
The statement on Sunday afternoon said Chelsea "gives our players room to exercise their own discretion when contacted personally with regard to visits and the club keeps security and access to the training ground under constant review.
"However, as a result of the security breach highlighted by today's article we will be further reviewing access to our facilities and clamping down where there are gaps in the process."
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
BoG Governor calls for balance between financial innovation and stability
2 seconds -
Regulate the risk, not the technology – Governor Asiama advises central banks
49 seconds -
NIA clears 640,000 card backlog, expands nationwide and Diaspora operations
2 minutes -
Ghana to launch first electronic visa system on Africa Day – Ablakwa announces
5 minutes -
Sparqlyn congratulates Shatta Wale on IRAWMA wins, recounts old memories
8 minutes -
Agriculture Ministry warns against unauthorised livestock markets ahead of Eid
18 minutes -
Dr Gideon Boako predicts an increase in bank charges from June 4
25 minutes -
To what degree can universities alone save Africa?
25 minutes -
Minority vows to block new taxes, cites hardship on Ghanaians
27 minutes -
Ghana’s Parliament among the most transparent in Africa – Mahama Ayariga
30 minutes -
JoyNews reports lead to restoration of Awoshie–Ablekuma traffic lights, easing safety concerns
35 minutes -
Ghana Sports Fund to rely on lotto, gaming revenue and corporate support — Administrator
41 minutes -
PAC urges Finance Ministry to conduct annual audits of gov’t arrears to curb financial irregularities
44 minutes -
S.K. Agyemang launches ‘Menpaebo’ album with Light Seekers
45 minutes -
Punishing perpetrators only way to end electoral violence — Asiedu Nketia
46 minutes