Audio By Carbonatix
Enzo Fernandez will sit out Chelsea's next two games after he "crossed a line" with comments he made about his future at the club, says manager Liam Rosenior.
After Chelsea's exit from the Champions League last month, Fernandez told ESPN that he did not know whether he would remain at Stamford Bridge next season.
The 25-year-old Argentine joined the Blues for what was a British record transfer fee of £107m in January 2023 and has made 161 appearances.
Rosenior said the midfielder has been dropped for Saturday's FA Cup quarter-final against Port Vale and the Premier League fixture against Manchester City on 12 April.
"It's disappointing for Enzo to speak that way," Rosenior said.
"I have got no bad words to say about him but a line was crossed in terms of our culture and what we want to build. As a character, a person and a player, I have the utmost respect. He's frustrated because he wants us to be successful.
"In terms of the decision, it's not all about me, or the sporting directors. The ownership, the players, we are aligned in our decision.
"The door is not closed on Enzo. It's a sanction. You have to protect the culture, and in terms of that, a line was crossed."
Latest Stories
-
Closure of Kaneshie footbridge forces traders, commuters to risk crossing highway daily
5 minutes -
World Bank mission team pays courtesy call on Gender Minister
20 minutes -
Aggrieved customers threaten fresh protests at Finance Ministry over unpaid locked up funds
33 minutes -
‘Did Mahama lie his way to power?’ – Gold Coast Customers react to compensation delay
42 minutes -
“We don’t have the money to pay” – Finance Minister tells financial sector victims
52 minutes -
ORAL: Prosecution closes its case in Skytrain trial
52 minutes -
Armwrestling – Prisons Boss Baffoe-Bonnie hosts officers to a luncheon
1 hour -
GH¢10bn still unpaid as Mahama misses promise to locked-up fund victims
1 hour -
Socrate Safo Speaks: When Battles come in Winter, a lesson from Prophet Badu Kobi’s predicament
1 hour -
Samuel Jinapor raises concerns over Abronye DC’s continued detention, warns against ‘culture of silence’
2 hours -
GFA, Metro Mass Transit seal partnership to transform football transport and fan experience
2 hours -
Tension mounts in Asante Mampong NPP over alleged voters register irregularities
2 hours -
Economic activity strengthens in quarter one 2026, but business, consumer sentiments soften – BoG
2 hours -
Health Ministry congratulates Mintah Akandoh on election as WHO Committee B Chairman
2 hours -
Licensed mining firm cries foul over illegal occupation of concession at Wasa Dadieso
2 hours