Audio By Carbonatix
Controversial world champion athlete Caster Semenya has arrived home in South Africa to a hero's welcome.
Hundreds turned out to greet Ms Semenya and fellow medallists, men's 800m champion Mbulaeni Mulaudzi and long jump silver medallist Khotso Mokoena.
Police restrained the singing and dancing crowds as she left the airport.
South Africans have rallied behind Ms Semenya, who was asked to take a gender test just hours before winning the 800m final in Berlin last week.
The whole team is expected to meet President Jacob Zuma later.
The BBC's Karen Allen in Johannesburg says the intention is to shift the emphasis back to the country's sporting achievements and show that it stands proud despite the controversy.
Racism charge
People gathered at the OR Tambo airport wearing the national colours of gold and green, and singing and dancing as they waited.
Others held up messages of support. Posters read "our first lady of sport", "welcome home Caster, our champ" and "Caster 100 percent female".
After their arrival the athletics team was whisked off to the airport's parking area where more crowds waited to get a glimpse of them.
Ms Semenya's family were at the airport to welcome their daughter home.
AFP news agency quoted her uncle, Ben Semenya, as saying: "Caster is a girl...I am not worried about that too much. Caster is like my child. I know where she comes from. For myself, I know Caster is a girl."
The ANC Youth League has accused the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) of racism.
"We must celebrate our athlete's victory despite the attempts by racist institutions to undermine what she has achieved. We are proud of her," ANCYL's national spokesperson Floyd Shivambu told the BBC.
Ms Semenya's family in Limpopo province have shown the BBC her birth certificate, which states she is female.
Athletics South Africa President Leonard Chuene last week told a local paper that he had to "persuade" the athlete to go to the podium to accept her gold medal because the she was so upset about the gender row.
The women's league said it views the IAAF's order for "as [a] vicious attack on the dignity of Caster Semenya and all women athletes because they suggest that women can only perform to a certain level and that those who exceed this level should be men".
IAAF President Lamine Diack accepted that the affair was handled badly.
I deeply regret that confidentiality was breached in this case and that the IAAF were forced into a position of having to confirm that gender testing was being carried out on this young athlete," AP quoted him as saying on Sunday.
"It is a regrettable matter and I have requested an internal inquiry to ensure that procedures are tightened up and this never happens again."
The IAAF ordered Ms Semenya to take the "gender verification test" after she improved her personal best by more than eight seconds over the past year.
The IAAF stresses that it does not suspect her of deliberately cheating but questions whether she may have a rare medical condition which gives her an unfair advantage.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
15% of maternal mortality deaths in Kumasi are ‘imported’- Health Director
19 minutes -
If Meta loses this trial, Instagram and Facebook could change forever
55 minutes -
Ferrari’s first ever electric car sold for record $40m at auction
1 hour -
Singapore police investigate assault on elderly man who patted child’s head
1 hour -
How Dapper forged my signature, sold my catalogue to foreign label – Shallipopi
4 hours -
Omotola’s heart of gold on display
4 hours -
Pope calls for an end to West Bank violence against Palestinians
5 hours -
Shipping slows through Strait of Hormuz after tanker attacks, data shows
5 hours -
Why I stopped trying to quit smoking – Omah Lay
5 hours -
‘What if sharks swallow you’ – Teni warns Burna Boy over ocean stunt
5 hours -
What’s driving men to get penis fillers, despite the risks?
5 hours -
Ngah brace fires Cameroon to historic first WAFCON crown with dominant Malawi victory
5 hours -
Ariana Grande leaves problems at home as her tour hits the UK
6 hours -
‘Ghana was the crime scene’ – the country leading the demand for slavery reparations
6 hours -
Court dismisses Nana Kwame Bediako’s fresh bid to halt $14.9m judgment
6 hours