Audio By Carbonatix
Authorities have seized cryptocurrency exchange Bitzlato, and arrested its co-founder, accusing the firm of fuelling a "high-tech axis of crypto crime".
The US Department of Justice charged Anatoly Legkodymov, a Russian national living in China, with running a business that catered to what he once described as "crooks".
They said Bitzlato processed more than $700m (ÂŁ567m) in illicit funds, breaking rules designed to thwart money laundering.
Mr Legkodymov was arrested in Miami.
"Institutions that trade in cryptocurrency are not above the law and their owners are not beyond our reach," US Attorney Breon Peace said at a press conference on Wednesday, announcing the arrest.
"As alleged, Bitzlato sold itself to criminals as a no-questions-asked cryptocurrency exchange and reaped hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of deposits as a result. The defendant is now paying the price for the malign role that his company played in the cryptocurrency ecosystem."
Since 2018, the Hong Kong-registered exchange had processed about $4.5bn worth of cryptocurrency transactions, according to the complaint.
The firm required minimal identification from its users, allowing it to become a "haven for criminal proceeds and funds intended for use in criminal activity", prosecutors said.
They alleged that the firm was aware of the issues, citing an internal document that described Bitzlato as handling "dirty money" without standard customer-vetting procedures.
Authorities said the firm was closely connected to Hydra Market, a darknet marketplace for drugs, money laundering and stolen financial information that international authorities shut down last year.
Bitzlato claimed it did not accept US customers but prosecutors said it in fact did "substantial" business with Americans.
US authorities worked with law enforcement in France and other countries on the operation.
Latest Stories
-
Data is the new gold — but most nations are still digging with shovels
4 minutes -
Tourism Minister pledges action on cultural infrastructure, pushes domestic tourism in Upper West
4 minutes -
“Measure success by the clinic, not the conference” — Mahama urges global health reform
12 minutes -
Charlotte Osei: Why sponsoring festivals like Oguaa Fetu Afahye is smart business
13 minutes -
“Let us not let reform be a ceiling” — Mahama calls for bold global health reforms
20 minutes -
BECE examination malpractices: Is there an end in sight?
28 minutes -
We’re not in Geneva to mourn aid cuts but to build health sovereignty — Mahama at 79th World Health Assembly
31 minutes -
Mahama calls for African ‘health sovereignty’ as global aid declines
37 minutes -
Africa cannot claim health sovereignty while producing less than 1% of vaccines — Mahama
42 minutes -
BoG undertakes new measures to strengthen financial sector – Second Deputy Governor
42 minutes -
The ‘forgotten Ghanaian fugitive with American and Ghanaian passportsÂ
49 minutes -
US aid suspension costs Ghana $78m, Mahama tells World Health Assembly
50 minutes -
Mahama touts Ghana’s free primary healthcare programme at World Health Assembly
59 minutes -
Africa must take control of its health future — Mahama
1 hour -
Ghana on alert following Ebola outbreak in Uganda and DR Congo – Ministry of Health
1 hour