Some people are reported to be exhuming bodies from cemeteries at Adaa and Batour, farming communities in Pru District and burning them.
Vasco Samuel Nyamekye, the Atebubu District Director of the Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice said that the commission had received a petition from a farmer at Yeji, complaining about the practise.
Mr Nyamekye said the exhumation and burning of the fresh bodies could lead to an outbreak of epidemic.
Mr Nyamekye said the burning always attracted large numbers of people and that in a most recent incident, the body of a middle-aged man was exhumed and burnt and this drew a lot of wailing from the bereaved family.
Mr. Nyamekye said the two communities claimed they had sought permission from the traditional authorities of the area.
They are the Omanhene of Yeji, Nana Yaw Kabrese, Nana Boakye Yiadom, Omanhene of Komkom, Nana Twumasi Ankrah, chief of Cherepo and the chiefs of Adaa and Batour.
Mr. Nyamekye said he had appealed to the traditional authorities to submit their comments on the alleged practice within one week as it was against the rights of persons as mandated by the constitution.
Nana Boakye Yiadom has confirmed the practice and appealed to the commission to embark on an education drive to educate the people about the dangers and the illegality of exhuming the dead bodies.
- Akuapem Poloo granted ¢80k bail
- ECG releases ‘dumsor’ timetable; outages to begin May 10
- Murder suspect claims he mistook aeronautical engineer for a pig at Akyem Asuboa
- Akufo-Addo announces nominees for deputy ministerial positions, elevates Charles Adu-Boahen
- Kunbour mustn’t behave like a serial caller – Ade Coker
- Kasoa Opeikuma businessman killers arrested at Buduburam
- Contracts awarded to Zoomlion, Frontiers Healthcare Solution, others were in breach of procurement practices – Report
- Certify your Covid-19 Corruption Risk Assessment or we will use it as toilet paper – Ursula Owusu-Ekuful to CDA
- Kotoko to pay Maxwell Konadu $41,000 for breach of contract
- Ed Woodward resigns from Manchester United role
Mark Okraku Mantey appointed Deputy Minister-designate for Tourism, Arts and Culture
Idriss Deby’s son named ‘president of the republic’
Teenager who filmed George Floyd’s death, posts emotional message following verdict
NCA shuts down 49 TV stations operating without a license
Chrissy Teigen says Kim Kardashian ‘gave her all’ to her marriage with Kanye West
Adjei Boakye: Demigods in our body politics; mismanaging our natural resources
Photos: 25-year-old who was allegedly murdered by boyfriend in Ho buried
I am a proud farmer – Dumelo declares after harvesting 3 tonnes of ginger
Emanuella features in Australian action film ‘Survive Or Die’
I will complement Energy Minister to execute manifesto promises – Egyapa Mercer
Ghana digitises Covid-19 verification to reduce imported cases
Trader remanded for allegedly impregnating his daughter
Smart transportation to enhance use of Ho airport in the offing – Volta Development Forum
GPRTU national chairman wants law banning ‘okada’ operations implemented
Corruption: Government must pay attention to internal auditing